Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
adk
Adirondack Forest

More Skunk and Opossum in recent years?

Has anyone noticed a change in the overall abundance of Skunk and Opossum? Over the past few years I have seen more (trail cam, in person sighting and/pr roadkill). Was wondering if anyone else feels the same. 20 years back in northern franklin county they seemed few and far apart. Glad to see them of course, just curious if seasonal condition are impacting populations..
Old 12-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Tick Magnet

I've noticed a lot of road killed possum on Rt. 30 during my travels to my happy place. Never used to see them until a few years ago.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Haven't seen any around my place near Stratford in southern ADKs.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble

'Possoms seem to be expanding their range to the north, skunks have always been here.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #5
Hobbitling
spring fever

It's not your imagination. the range of the opossum is definitely expanding northwards. There have been a few published studies about it. They've seen the same thing in Michigan.

Opossums don't hibernate, they have to feed all winter, and they dont have a very warm fur coat compared to some animals, so they normally don't prefer extreme cold like the adirondacks, but we've had some mild years lately, so they might have gained more of a foothold.

Their populations also cycle up and down quite a bit, so some years are more "possumy" than others. Happens with skunks too.