Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #1
Cpswing555

headed up july 14 need fish intel

ok team,
SO we are headed to fish creek pond to camp for two weeks. we take a canoe and kayak with us. I'm looking for a lil advice. would like to get my son and daughter on a few trout. It can be on a stream or pond I don't care. ponds streams lures or rig advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

CP
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
St.Regis

Sent you a PM
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
Buckladd

Take a look at the stocking reports. Trout waters can be warm then.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
Cpswing555

Ok guys we leave tomorrow so thanks for all your help and I'll keep ya posted. thanks again
Old 07-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
Cpswing555

We fished round pond up on Whitney park on Friday from guide boats. Did well. Nothing huge but some nice ones. They hit top water in early morning and then we connected on worms, rapalas, storm shad as the day continued. We ate lunch out on an island and had a great time. If I get s chance this week I am going to try a few of your suggestions. One quick question. I found the fabled wabbler. Now how do I rig it up.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpswing555 View Post
We fished round pond up on Whitney park on Friday from guide boats. Did well. Nothing huge but some nice ones. They hit top water in early morning and then we connected on worms, rapalas, storm shad as the day continued. We ate lunch out on an island and had a great time. If I get s chance this week I am going to try a few of your suggestions. One quick question. I found the fabled wabbler. Now how do I rig it up.
The wobbler probably has at least one split ring attached to it. Place a small barrel swivel on this split ring. Off the swivel tie a 24" piece of mono with your hook choice tied to the other end. You can make this leader section shorter or longer but 24" is a good starting point. 18" seems too short to me though. Also, I like to make this leader from a lighter test than what is on my reel.(in case you get hook snagged you will lose the hook....not the wobbler)

On the other end of the wobbler you may or may not have a split ring. Either way, attach your reel line here using a small snap swivel.

If you don't use swivels your line will become a mess!
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:37 PM   #7
Cpswing555

thanks Blue, I picked up two and looked at them, read your post but never got back out. between rain and kids I just didn't have time.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
EagleCrag

One thing I learned about wabblers this year. They come in different weights. Not sizes, weights. Most of the newer ones I see for sale are light weight--aluminum I'm thinking but thin. They also make heavier ones that are labeled as such. I noticed these in the Crossroads when I was in there. Also, I believe that most of the old ones are of heavier guage metal than the light ones found today. This is definitely a factor to consider when you are trying to get deeper without using a sinker. I suppose there are advantages to both but suspect the reason most of the ones in stores today are the lightweight variety is due to price and cost to the manufacturer.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
One thing I learned about wabblers this year. They come in different weights. Not sizes, weights. Most of the newer ones I see for sale are light weight--aluminum I'm thinking but thin. They also make heavier ones that are labeled as such. I noticed these in the Crossroads when I was in there. Also, I believe that most of the old ones are of heavier guage metal than the light ones found today. This is definitely a factor to consider when you are trying to get deeper without using a sinker. I suppose there are advantages to both but suspect the reason most of the ones in stores today are the lightweight variety is due to price and cost to the manufacturer.
True.....I have two #1's, both the same size and color but one had a sticker noting it was heavier.

I also see/ feel a difference in the Gilbertsville/ vs Canadian manufactured spoons of the same size.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
bluequill

I just weighed two #5's in copper. One from Canada and the other from NY. They both weigh 4.3 grams. Both had split rings on either end. Go figure.....