Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
Campingislife

Question Semi Accessible Camping at Indian Lake

My family has camped at Indian Lake since my Dad was a little boy, but my brother is now in a wheel chair and can't manage our favorite sites. He has the option of getting an all terrain/mountain bike style wheelchair, and I was wondering if any of you knew if there are any sites that had better trails from the water up to the campsite. Rocks and roots aren't the problem, its mostly how steep it is. Thanks!
Campingislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Dillon Park is specifically for accessible camping, on the shores of Grampus Lake.

http://www.paulsmiths.edu/johndillon...cessible-park/
Old 07-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
Buckladd

Nearly all of the DEC campgrounds in the Adirondacks have specialized sites for the handicapped. The sites are hard-packed, and level and the picnic tables are extended without benches so a person in a wheelchair can roll up to them. As for water access, places like Lake Durant and Cranberry Lake have fishing piers. I wish I were more fluent on this but if you do some research on DEC's camping pages and perhaps Reserve America, you may be able to learn a little more. You can also call the campground directly.

Also, at Stillwater Reservoir there is a site with wooden walkways from the campsite to an extra-large outhouse built just for folks with disabilities. I'm sure there's more around the Adirondacks.

Here's DEC's page: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/34035.html

Last edited by Buckladd; 07-06-2017 at 06:48 AM..
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Terasec

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/34038.html#hamilton

i believe indian lake is in hamilton cty
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access, advice, camping, indian lake, sites