Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #1
Edb 46 er

Gear Hauling

Hello, everyone. Wanted some input for a fall hunting trip in regards to hauling some gear into a camp about 4 miles into the woods. The permit would be in place with GPS coordinates for our local patrol, so, no need to worry about laws pertaining to those matters.

One of my questions is, does anyone know of any services that can haul tents and such far back into the wilderness? Such as horses, mules, alpaca or human sweat? It would be difficult at best, but where I am camped is remote. I would need a haul in and a haul out after the hunt. No vehicles allowed. If it was that easy I would not mention any of this.
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
EagleCrag

Wish I could help Ed but your dilemma is one of the reasons inaccessible places in the Adirondacks seldom get hunted. Its also the reason IMO that some folks create stashes back in the boonies and leave a good portion of their gear in the backcountry. I think you might be better off seeking out somewhere that is accessible by canoe. Those avenues may be frequented more by other hunters than the one you have in mind, but will still get you away from the vast majority of other hunters, depending on where you go. Another option would be to find a place where you could cart your things in. Trouble there is that you pretty much need to find logging road access to make the trip cartable otherwise the carts are more trouble than they are worth. Even then, blowdowns will create problems. No easy solution. Hopefully someone will be able to provide a better solution for you.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
bioguide

JBI Helicopter Services air drops equipment for Johns Brook Lodge:
http://www.lakeplacidnews.com/page/c...id/501112.html
https://www.jbihelicopters.com/
Old 07-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
fxd79

I would recommend saving your money on horses, helicopters etc. and just buy a quality external frame ultralight back-pack (Kifaru, EXO Mountain Gear etc) and hot tent set-up (Seek Outside, Kifaru etc) with lightweight Ti woodstove, sleeping bags and the like. You should be able to get a total pack weight below 40-45lbs with 5 days of food and should be able to make the 4 mile hike no problem. Coming out with a deboned good sized ADK buck (hopefully), head etc. will probably add ~70 lbs but you will be minus ~ 7lbs of food so looking at ~ 100lbs on your back for 4 miles. That's doable with a quality pack and being in reasonable shape.

If you are going with others the weight will be less as you can split supplies.

I attached my gear list in excel for some ideas.

Cheers and Good Luck!

FXD
Attached Files
File Type: xls ADK_Hunting_List.xls (42.5 KB, 103 views)
fxd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
Edb 46 er

I forgot to mention that I have a wall tent with a cylinder stove that I have only have used for a total of 4 seasons and just love the idea of coming back to a nice warm cozy heated tent with a cot as opposed to the ground. As well as a pot of stew or chili on the stove warming. I have done the bivouac thing for a season or two and it does have benefits above the latter but I am aiming towards a little more comfort these days. I have already made the investment on the tent and stove. Helicopter sounds pricey! I did contact a plane service and the price was acceptable but not my chosen destination, you can only land a plane on certain lakes as it turns out. With a chosen pal, the plane could be doable.

Thanks for feeling my troubles people:-)

FXD: I couldn't access your list for some reason, any way you could email me?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
fxd79

If you're hauling a hundred plus pounds of bulky gear then I'm with EagleCrag that a canoe is probably your best bet, especially if you have a deer to bring out. You could cart in but that is a lot of gear especially if the trail is rough and add a buck on top of it. With 4-miles in I doubt you would want to make more than one trip. If I was dead set on hunting the area and cannot canoe access I would probably just truck camp and hike in each day to hunt. A lot of walking for sure but if there's a trail you should make decent time. Getting a buck out will be a different story.

Must of seen something special back in there to make you want to expend the effort...

I attached the gear list as a PDF. I cannot seem to attach to e-mail through the forum.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ADK_Hunting_List.pdf (69.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #7
backcountry

@FXD

Great gear list. I am curious if you could detail what your 8lbs of food consists of for 5 days?
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
Edb 46 er

FXD, your list has come through. Do you hunt the Adirondack's every year?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Edb 46 er

Bio Guide I have watched a few of your Youtube videos and have enjoyed them. Looks like you are enjoying the outside! Hopefully, you get your big buck this year. Wish you the best!
Old 07-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
fxd79

Hey Backcountry, freeze dried meals (4oz each) for b-fast/dinner (mountain house or heather's choice etc.) lunch is usually nuts, dried fruit, protein bar, etc. Hopefully some tenderloin to supplement! Good tip I picked up from Fly Rodder, while hunting out of his Tipi a couple years back is to pre-pack each days worth of food in separate zip-lock bags.

EdB - I do hunt every year up there in Hamilton County. I typically hunt out of a traditional hunting camp but I do enjoy backpack hunting the backcountry and plan to do that more and more. Never did the wall tent thing but it is on the list......
Old 07-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

M.U.L.E.
http://themule.com/
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Any feedback with personal experiences with this tool?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #13
forgedin78

Hmmm interesting concept.....the wheel looks too small though. But a home made rig with a bike tire could work
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Any feedback with personal experiences with this tool?
Good question. I remember this from about a year ago or so...I'm guessing it really hasn't caught on much.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #15
EagleCrag

Yes, interesting concept. I wonder what it would be like if you were sidehilling though. I also agree with the comment about the size of the tire.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #16
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I noticed n the video that it twisted over on it's side a couple of times, and that is in a video where there showing it at it's best????
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #17
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Hello, everyone. Wanted some input for a fall hunting trip in regards to hauling some gear into a camp about 4 miles into the woods. The permit would be in place with GPS coordinates for our local patrol, so, no need to worry about laws pertaining to those matters.

One of my questions is, does anyone know of any services that can haul tents and such far back into the wilderness? Such as horses, mules, alpaca or human sweat? It would be difficult at best, but where I am camped is remote. I would need a haul in and a haul out after the hunt. No vehicles allowed. If it was that easy I would not mention any of this.
How big is the tent and what permit are you referring to? I've never heard of someone hiring a mule or horse team to haul out gear here in NY; I don't think the demand for that kind of service exists here in the east the same way it exists out west. Plus, I don't think horse travel is allowed on many trails, though off trail use may be a different story.

If it's a big tent, your best bet is to divy it up among some different people and haul it out.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #18
Hard Scrabble

I have to jump in.
Wheeled vehicles, whether human or animal powered are illegal in wilderness areas.
The alternative is sweat, packing your base camp to a campsite that has been approved in advance by DEC.
No charge.
If you want to hunt the back country, you have to accept this.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #19
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
How big is the tent and what permit are you referring to? I've never heard of someone hiring a mule or horse team to haul out gear here in NY; I don't think the demand for that kind of service exists here in the east the same way it exists out west. Plus, I don't think horse travel is allowed on many trails, though off trail use may be a different story.

If it's a big tent, your best bet is to divy it up among some different people and haul it out.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6079.html

Yes there are services offered in the Adirondacks..........

There is an equine outfitter in Newcomb who caters to hunters.

I believe the stable in Coreys does the same thing.

It is a convenient and affordable option to haul in/ out tents and gear for the 6 week season in wilderness areas where motorized use is not allowed. This also helps LNT practices by assuring camp debris and blue tarps are not left to rot in the woods.

I think Cold River Bob has some photos of one of his trips with the help of a horse team and wagon......hey Bob!
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #20
smhmmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
I have to jump in.
Wheeled vehicles, whether human or animal powered are illegal in wilderness areas.
Is a deer cart considered a wheeled vehicle then?
smhmmc is offline   Reply With Quote