Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
Buckladd

R6 Buck Only WMU's

Just a heads up if you hunt here, this year it will be buck only once again during the muzzleloading season in WMU's 6J, 6F and 6N in the western Adirondacks and Tug Hill. It was buck only last year but it didn't make the Regulations Guide, so ENCON let some people slide. I talked to an ECO who covers Clinton and part of Franklin County the other day and he said that won't be the case this year.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html

Last edited by Buckladd; 08-03-2017 at 05:25 AM..
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Bounder45

I can understand the ADK's, but are deer #'s really not doing that well in the Tug Hill area?
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
Terasec

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_...forecastr6.pdf
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
St.Regis

Terasec - Thanks for the link.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
I can understand the ADK's, but are deer #'s really not doing that well in the Tug Hill area?
Have you ever driven through the heart of Tug Hill in the winter? If not, it's something to see. I'm surprised anything survives.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Have you ever driven through the heart of Tug Hill in the winter? If not, it's something to see. I'm surprised anything survives.
You referring to the high snowfall there?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
You referring to the high snowfall there?
Yes! I drove Osceola Road in January a few years ago. Snowbanks higher than my truck. Wow!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #8
Terasec

My land is just north of tug hill in R6
Up to a few years ago having 5-10 feet of snow on the ground was not uncommon
Even now if 200' driveway is not plowed regularly eventually need a bulldozer to clear it
When i bought the land me and my brother were waiting for the realtor in the parking lot
We looked at eachother like what the heck is this
It was May and snowing hard
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
Bounder45

So would you say that hunting deer up there is just as challenging as hunting them in the ADK's?

And how are the bear #'s in that area? I know of a few people who train hounds in that area, but I've never hunted it myself.

I did drive through the area recently, just to check it out...the vegetation there is pretty thick!
Old 09-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #10
Tug Hill

WMU 6 N has been antlered only during MZ season for many years. I don't have a problem with that.
But, the boundary between 6N and 6K is the Osceola Rd/County Rt 46. This northern boundary of 6K needs to be moved south. Many deer that summer in 6N, winter in the historic deer yards in 6K along Salmon River. It is not uncommon, like last deer season, to get heavy snow in late Nov. driving deer from 6N to the yards during hunting season.
Many hunters know the migration routes and line up in the East Osceola State Forest just south of the Osceola Rd in 6K, where DMP are issued. My point is what's the sense of protecting the antlerless segment of the herd in 6N, and then every couple of years, kill them in 6K on their way to the winter yards ?
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote