Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

The Story of Ross

Look back through my posts on this forum and you will find many photos of my boys, Thomas and Ross and many a story about fishing trips.

Ross caught his first trout on a fly at age five. He's always had exceptional powers of observation and put those to good use as a fly fisher.

In 2013 when Ross was 14 he caught an enormous brookie, to this day one of the most beautiful brookies I've ever seen. We were on an overnight backpacking/ fishing trip in the fall. Mid Sunday morning we spotted the beast rising in front of a beaver lodge. Ross made a single cast and the fight was on. Those short moments are forever emblazoned in my memory banks.

Ross graduated from high school this Spring and I wanted to give him a graduation present with some lasting value. We discussed it and converged on a carving of the epic brookie.

Our forum's own Adkbrooktrout did the carving for us. Preston is an absolutely exceptional artist. It turns out he's a sterling fellow as well. We are both over the moon with the quality of the piece.

This is a selfish present in a way. We agreed that college dorm rooms and a bachelor apartment are probably not a happy home for the brookie carving. So he's going to stay on our wall until Ross has a stable home of his own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1.jpg (86.6 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg F2.jpg (109.2 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg F4.jpg (96.3 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg F5.jpg (92.9 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg F6.jpg (101.7 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg F7.jpg (126.2 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg F8.jpg (119.2 KB, 253 views)
Old 08-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #2
chaser
pond jockey

That's awesome.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 PM   #3
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

A family heirloom for sure,
My son , now 25 , is home for a few days and your post is bringing back memories we've had together too, Thanks.

You've instilled in them some great values. I would guess that they will, many years from now , take you out for your last fishing trip as well, and they will remember that trip as much as you remember their first.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:06 AM   #4
ADKpikebuster

Nothing turns the college women on more than a trout fisherman,that's why I wasn't on the market that long

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:04 AM   #5
Stillhunter

Very nice. Great way to preserve that day forever. I remember the original post. Can only imagine what it must have been like in person.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
geogymn

Nice! We place mounted items on the wall not to boast but to remember.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
St.Regis

Nice! Great replica of a great fish. Congrats to your son for the catch and to you for your recognition to him and the brookie.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
Pauly D.

Great story. Thanks for sharing! I'm sure your son will look back at that carving with fondness as he embarks on the next series of adventures in his life.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
ADKxplorer

Awesome, a real work of art that will last a lifetime and a great gift.
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
wildbrookies

Vt- That is the absolute best way to congratulate Ross` graduation and the great future he has lying in his path! Those memories are forever embedded in you and Ross` mind forever and when he looks upon the wall and sees this outstanding replica of that gorgeous fish,he`ll automatically smile and think of you and all the time you made to be with him on fly waters and of course the replay of that single cast and the ensuing epic battle. It`ll all be there on the wall! Nice job VT! And beautiful artwork Adkbrooktrout!! And congratulations to you Ross! I wish you the very best in what lies in your future! But, I have a feeling your college courses somehow might include studies relative to fisheries or the environment. Good luck my friend!

WB

ps...the more I compare the original photo of Ross` trophy and Adkbrooktrouts` masterpiece ,I need to add,they are so unbelievably similar ,its amazing!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
Glen
Check please

Why is the mount so much larger than the actual fish?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Fish_tricks.gif (5.2 KB, 195 views)
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy

Last edited by Glen; 08-02-2017 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: clarification
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
It's actually not. When I get back from this business trip I'll post another picture of the actual fish that gives a better indication of size.

How's your anchor?
Old 08-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #13
beartooth91
beartooth91

Wow.....
Some years ago, there was a company (or companies) selling kits with measuring tape and instructions on how to properly measure the fish and photograph to make a fairly accurate replica. This reminds me of those kits.
This is something on my dream list.......if I can ever catch a big Brookie. The replica looks really fantastic. Did you perform the different measurements and is there a company you recommend for this?
beartooth91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth91 View Post
Wow.....
Some years ago, there was a company (or companies) selling kits with measuring tape and instructions on how to properly measure the fish and photograph to make a fairly accurate replica. This reminds me of those kits.
This is something on my dream list.......if I can ever catch a big Brookie. The replica looks really fantastic. Did you perform the different measurements and is there a company you recommend for this?
Adkbrooktrout did the fish from the length measurement and the photo. This is art and was never meant to be an exact representation.

I'm sure Preston will chime in on the process.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #15
gmorin71

Great post! Over the years ross has certainly made us jealous with his knowledge of the sport. you've posted many a picture of some gorgeous fish that he's taken. Must have been pretty cool following along with him as he's grown up. Also, great way to memorialize his accomplishment. I remember when that fish was posted I couldn't believe it. I assumed you went on another one of your trips into canada, couldn't believe it was an ADK fish! Congrats to ross and your entire family as you all share in this.

Let's not leave out Preston. You sir are truly gifted with an amazing talent. You do incredible work. My entire life I have always wished that I had some artistic ability. Of course I have none, but that allows me to appreciate great work at a much higher level. Nice Job!

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #16
bosco

absolutely beautiful!!
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 AM   #17
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Why is the "caught by" name so small and hidden by the pelvic fin??
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #18
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
Why is the "caught by" name so small and hidden by the pelvic fin??
Good point! Also, did the carver, who did a great job, remember to convert VT's typical millimeter numbers to inches?

“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #19
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I think aft paddle and Glen should take a long, long canoe trip together, possibly into polar bear country.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #20
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Excellent work by Ross and Preston. Looks like the pupil has surpassed the master in the vtflyfish household!
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote