Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
Buckladd

Coyote Attack in Hudson Falls

It's getting dangerous in the ADK Foothills:
http://poststar.com/news/local/loose...50ef06ca6.html
Old 08-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
dundee

Coyote was shot today by ECO, body being tested for rabies in Delmar.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #3
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Coyote was shot today by ECO, body being tested for rabies in Delmar.
Yes, that's what the article in the link is about.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
cityboy

I saw an interview on TV. A wildlife expert did not believe it was rabid. He said it was acting predatory. Color me skeptical. Coyotes hunt in packs. A single Coyote approaching a man walking his dog and attacking sounds like a sick animal to me. I'll await the results of the rabies test.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Coyotes hunt in packs. A single Coyote approaching a man walking his dog and attacking sounds like a sick animal to me.
That may be the norm, but I've read accounts where people have been followed walking their dogs in suburban areas by lone coyotes. Maybe they become loners closer to cities and towns?
Old 08-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
cityboy

It tested positive for rabies.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/artic...d-11937966.php
Old 08-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Coyotes hunt in packs.
Nearly every coyote I've seen, and it's a lot of them, is alone.

And they're always hunting.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #8
skillzman1

Last summer I show up to a job site in downtown Saratoga. A car pulls up and stops in front of the driveway and a young girl steps out. I look up the road behind her and theres a dog writhing in pain in the middle of the road. At first I thought it was a german sheppard puppy. I walked over to find it was a coyote, it died a few seconds later. The girl asked what it was and when I said a coyote she hopped in her car and sped off.
I called the city police department and was told it was likely someones dog, NOT a coyote. I explained I knew the difference but they insisted it would have to be identified as someones dog when they came to remove it. It was gone a short time later, never heard anything else about it. Was pretty surprised to see one that far into downtown.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

There are plenty of lone coyotes here in the capital district area as well.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:03 AM   #10
Buckladd

I just saw a coyote tonight. I have a long driveway that passes through a clearing between two relatives' houses. There was what I call a short-legged coyote, that I've seen numerous times, in the clearing near my driveway and a deer near my Aunt's about 50 yards away. When I got to the clearing where my place is, maybe 100 yards further, there was another deer.

I also had a big coyote pass through my yard last week about 6am and earlier this summer there were two coyote pups around for a few days. A big coyote had been hit on the main drag about a mile away and we think it was their mother. I'll post a photo of them sometime soon when I'm on my main computer. I was able to get very close to them as they walked right up to my house.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #11
cityboy

In order to take down large prey coyotes form in packs. I consider humans in that category and no single coyote is going to attack aggressively unless cornered. The video clearly shows a lone coyote walking up to a man and his dog and attacking. I did not see any vicious behavior until it attacked. There was clearly something wrong with this animal and now we know it was infected with rabies.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
Buckladd

[QUOTE=cityboy;261445]In order to take down large prey coyotes form in packs. [QUOTE]

While I haven't personally witnessed a lone coyote take down a deer, or even a pack for that matter, I've certainly seen them stalk an adult deer, as have numerous Adirondack hunters and trappers that I know. For coyotes, of course, it's open season on whitetail fawns.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #13
St.Regis

A friend of mine was recently confronted by a coyote in central NY. He was walking behind his house with his dog and the coyote came up to them and acted in an aggressive manor. It followed and flanked them until he made it back to his house, then hung around his backyard. My friend grabbed his 12 gauge, then shot and killed it from his back door. He lives in a medium density residential area that borders a large undeveloped block of land. Certainly not normal behavior for a coyote.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #14
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Certainly not normal behavior for a coyote.
Generally true, but as animals live closer and closer to us, they lose fear of us; bears in the High Peaks is an example. Plus, the coyotes we have here are a mix of coyote and wolf. Neither animal would normally bother us, but this mix has created a more aggressive animal.

I will see if I can find the link to the woman who was killed by coyotes in the Maritime Provinces.

http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=12664

Also: http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=12501
Old 08-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #15
cityboy

It's amazing what lurks under the cover of darkness. I'll never forget the first time I put a game camera in back of the house. I was shocked at all the nightly traffic. It was like Grand Central Station. Foxes, Skunk, raccoons, Fisher, Deer and 3 Coyotes. All no more than 50 feet in back of house. No wonder my dog is afraid to go out at night!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #16
jensaito

Oops, i'm living in NY and don't have a strong desire to meet a coyote in the street.
jensaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #17
Hard Scrabble

Coyotes generally hunt in family groups.
You may see a lone coyote, but you can bet that there are more nearby.
This particular coyote was determined to be rabid.
A sure sign of over population.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #18
Buckladd

One year, when I was in college, I got home just in time for Christmas and couldn’t wait to get in the woods grouse hunting. That’s where I was Christmas Eve morning and was in a pretty secluded spot with a little crunchy snow on the ground. I stopped when I heard a commotion coming from behind that turned out to be an adult doe that came flying by about 50-60 yards from me. I watched as a coyote came not 100 yards behind her. They were gone in a heartbeat. I followed them for over half mile and never saw another track other than the deer and the coyote. The deer ran in a straight line until it crossed a brook, then made a sharp left and followed the brook to a marsh, which they both crossed, but I didn’t. This experience is just one reason why I’ve never bought the whole “coyotes hunt in packs” thing.

I can’t tell you how many coyotes have come out of our deer drives in the Adirondacks over the years and they’re almost always alone and not far from the deer. Many times they are ahead of the deer because they split once a hunter is on their tail and the deer come out after. That’s why I personally don’t shoot coyotes when deer hunting.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #19
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I can’t tell you how many coyotes have come out of our deer drives in the Adirondacks over the years and they’re almost always alone and not far from the deer. Many times they are ahead of the deer because they split once a hunter is on their tail and the deer come out after.
Red fox will do the same.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #20
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Red fox will do the same.
Just saw a red fox trying to hide from my headlights coming from Eagle Bay. Talk about stealth!