Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #41
Trail Boss

A Modest Proposal:

After reading Creekwader's description of (over-)extracting fish out of ponds stocked by the DEC, it occurred to me that this is a very inefficient delivery system.

The pond is the middleman and can be bypassed. The DEC should simply distribute the fish directly to the public. With fishing license in one hand and bucket in the other, queue up at the nearest hatchery and take your allotment.

Instead of your tax dollars being used to deliver fish to faraway ponds, whose location and quality serve as catalysts for online friction, you can just get them at source. For a few extra bucks, they'll even let you retain some of the thrill by fishing them out of the barrel.

Ah, Utopia!

Old 08-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #42
geogymn

It is clear from the get go that this thread wasn't about the etiquette of fishing but more about certain anglers trolling and us idiots who took the bait...hook, line, and sinker.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #43
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
hook, line, and sinker.
Hook, Line and Sinker. Game, Set and Match. Faith, Hope and Charity. 9 absolutely great novels by Len Deighton.

Fishing anyone? Fishing for reactions? Fishing for distractions? Or just plain fishing.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #44
Justin
Moving along

Anyone willing to share some secrets on fishing Lake George by any chance?
Spending a couple nights at Rogers Rock Ccampground this weekend with my buddy & his powerboat just fishing, relaxing, and enjoying the weekend. Feel free to PM if necessary, thanks.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #45
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Here ya go buddy. Lake George caught.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #46
Justin
Moving along

Old 08-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #47
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Hook, Line and Sinker. Game, Set and Match. Faith, Hope and Charity. 9 absolutely great novels by Len Deighton.

Fishing anyone? Fishing for reactions? Fishing for distractions? Or just plain fishing.
I'm not much of a fiction guy but do enjoy an historical novel once in awhile during the winter months. Never read this guy. What book do you suggest I start with?
Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #48
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
I'm not much of a fiction guy but do enjoy an historical novel once in awhile during the winter months. Never read this guy. What book do you suggest I start with?
Note these are spy novels in a historical setting.

The first novel is Game. The books are excellent.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #49
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Hey Hard Case, try fishing Fawn Lake. It's a secret lake with Huge. ,............. In there, but don't tell anybody.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #50
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Hey Glen!
Old 08-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #51
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Note these are spy novels in a historical setting.

The first novel is Game. The books are excellent.
Thanks!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #52
Trail Boss

Quote:
I'm not much of a fiction guy but do enjoy an historical novel once in awhile ...
If you like alternative history give Deighton's SS-GB a try. I read it a long time ago (pretty sure I still have the paperback!) and thought it was an interesting twist. A detective in London attempts to solve a murder in ... German-occupied England.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #53
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Spending a couple nights at Rogers Rock Ccampground this weekend with my buddy & his powerboat just fishing, relaxing, and enjoying the weekend. Feel free to PM if necessary, thanks.
Used to camp with the family at Hearthstone once a year. All I did was go out with a canoe and cast around rocky drop offs and in shallower bays. Caught smallmouth, largemouth, pike, perch, rock bass on a wide variety of lures. My dad caught a big smallmouth on a gold rapala next to a boat dock. I had some luck with a deep diving crayfish type lure and spinnerbaits.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #54
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Used to camp with the family at Hearthstone once a year. All I did was go out with a canoe and cast around rocky drop offs and in shallower bays. Caught smallmouth, largemouth, pike, perch, rock bass on a wide variety of lures. My dad caught a big smallmouth on a gold rapala next to a boat dock. I had some luck with a deep diving crayfish type lure and spinnerbaits.
Perfect, thanks Creek. That's pretty much our game plan.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #55
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Too late in the year now, but in May, I've had great success at 40 feet with hard bait minnow imitating lures.
Best success was just of the campsite and Rogers rock.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #56
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Yes, let's make sure the remaining productive ponds get scoured by the hordes whose idea of putting time in is reading internet forum posts. Good lord.
Those "hordes" that you speak of would not get off their butt.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #57
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
So where do you fish then? I'm guessing you got some good bullhead spots?
Yep, there's good bullhead fishing at the narrows on Pharaoh Lake.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #58
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
A Modest Proposal:

After reading Creekwader's description of (over-)extracting fish out of ponds stocked by the DEC, it occurred to me that this is a very inefficient delivery system.

The pond is the middleman and can be bypassed. The DEC should simply distribute the fish directly to the public. With fishing license in one hand and bucket in the other, queue up at the nearest hatchery and take your allotment.

Instead of your tax dollars being used to deliver fish to faraway ponds, whose location and quality serve as catalysts for online friction, you can just get them at source. For a few extra bucks, they'll even let you retain some of the thrill by fishing them out of the barrel.

Ah, Utopia!

I cannot believe that you are serious.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #59
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
A Modest Proposal:

Ah, Utopia!

This is the most sensible thing I've read on the internet in a long while...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #60
Buckladd

Quote:
Do you have downriggers? If so, I'd say troll Rapalas and spoons at depths of 60-100 feet, maybe deeper. You may mark some lakers in that depth in the N. Basin. (Justy Joe charters can tell you for sure). Go at first light for salmon and fish just under the surface, orange spoon with some black polka-dots or anything that looks like baitfish. These are just the basics.

Otherwise, fish for bass right under the rock with whacky-rigged plastic worms (green pumpkin, bubblegum). I caught a 4-pounder there in June.

If you kicked in some $$ and went with Justy Joe, you'd learn a lot in one outing and have some fun.