Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
hillman1
skiing demi-god

Wright or marcy

I live four hours away and can't make it up very often--does anyone know if wright peak or mt Marcy are skiable yet? Coming up Friday night and looking to ski Saturday. If those don't pan out just going lift serve at whiteface. Bought a new at setup, really would like to skin up something. Tons of snow where I live, but skinning up and sliding down a 250 foot hill is getting boring
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Bob K

Typically, the best condition report here: http://www.jackrabbittrail.org/conditions

You can also call the High Peaks info center.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
Bob K

FWIW, I've skinned up West mtn numerous times to enjoy their downhill slope- bigger than your local hill. It is at exit 18 of I87.

Deepest nearby snow seems to be East of Bennington VT. Prospect mtn is a former downhill ski area. Petersburg pass (NY/MA) border also has remnant slopes. Both areas have skinning & steep downhill potential.

Little pond & little pond mtn neaf Woodford VT good skin with skinning to Glastonberry mtn possible. Likely deep powder now & few people.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
Keithk
Keith

Haven’t seen anything “official” saying they’re skiable...

But we skied Avalanche pass and the Mr. Van trail today and it was pretty awesome. Based on past experience I’d think the higher train stuff has to be close- I bet someone has skied both already, but can’t be sure obviously. FWIW there was still an occasional root/rock poking through on the Loj/Marcy Dam trail.

Can always try Whales Tail or Avalanche pass if there ends up not being enough
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
Keithk
Keith

I should add

Pretty serious warmup coming Thurs and Fri that will seriously change the snowpack
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
hillman1
skiing demi-god

I'm hoping the warm up doesn't wreck what's there--I'm hoping it just solidifies the snowpack and makes for fast perfect turns Saturday...
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
ADKREDBEARD
ADKREDBEARD

I had a buddy skin up to the top of Marcy last Saturday. Tough making turns below Marcy dam he said but after that it was fine. Now that was frozen solid during sub zero temps so I am sure after this week that will change.
ADKREDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote