Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Bear Grylls & Shaquille O'Neal tackle the Adirondacks

This should be fun to watch...
http://www.dailygazette.com/news/201...e-adirondacks/
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Next thing we'll hear is reports of "Bigfoot"!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
"First, we'll make a shelter by cutting down these pine saplings..."
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
"First, we'll make a shelter by cutting down these pine saplings..."
Ha!
I hope that they brushed up on their LNT skills.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

You know... this makes me think...

Is it possibly the extra idiocy in the woods is caused by guys like BG?

Think about it. He goes out and thrashes around and does whatever the eff he wants. All those survival shows are like this. And sure, in an emergency, cut a damn tree and make a fire... but that's not the majority of real wilderness experience.

And then there's the fact that they glorify this type of behavior and sell a bunch of crappy outdoor gear with his name on it.

Am I way off base?
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post

Think about it. He goes out and thrashes around and does whatever the eff he wants. All those survival shows are like this. And sure, in an emergency, cut a damn tree and make a fire... but that's not the majority of real wilderness experience.

And then there's the fact that they glorify this type of behavior and sell a bunch of crappy outdoor gear with his name on it.

Am I way off base?
Not to me - that's exactly what I was getting at. "Survivor Syndrome" I like to call it.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
All those survival shows are like this...

...Am I way off base?
I understand what you're saying & I agree, but for what it's worth and from what I gather after watching a few episodes of "Running Wild with Bear Grylls", this series is not so much about survival, but more about an adventure through wild & rugged territory.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

I'm not picking on this particular series, but it made me think of past survival shows and how there really is this survival craze as part of reality TV.

Some of it was/is good and interesting. But I guess I consider that I know enough that I don't go out into protected areas and cut trees to make shelters or fire, or poop 10' off the trail in the same area where everyone else has (no idea what this has to do with survival shows).
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
Justin
Moving along

I get it... It is because of all these survival shows that people are pooping 10 feet from the trail. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Next thing we'll hear is reports of "Bigfoot"!
Shaq Squatch
Old 08-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
snapper
snapper

One of my most difficult hurdles to overcome with our students is to get them to carry basic safety gear so they don't have to learn "survival" skills. We really stress taking the time to pack a small tarp, extra clothing, rain gear, fire starter, headlamp (or small flashlight of some kind), etc. whenever we go out on a trip. Unfortunately they would rather learn how to make a survival shelter or create fire using flint & steel. While I think those are valuable skills, they take a long time to master (something that isn't usually stressed in the survival or bushcraft shows) so they aren't as useful in a true emergency. I'd much rather our students learn a few knots so they can pitch a weather tight tarp, carry a whistle so they can signal for assistance, etc. All of these skills are easier on the environment and a lot less energy dependent which can only serve them well in an emergency. I do know we've made progress with many of our folks but there are still some that want to rip up the woods so they can survive.

OK, rant off. Hopefully this new episode of the BG show won't have to large of a negative effect on the region.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #12
wiiawiwb

Shaq Attacks the Dacks!!

He's too small. A juvenile sasquatch.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
...Hopefully this new episode of the BG show won't have to large of a negative effect on the region.
I'd be willing to wager that he at least mentions during the episode the fragility of the Adirondacks & that there are regulations in place to prevent the negative impact that humans can have on the environment... I would think our government (DEC) might make him do something like that before letting them film the episode, no?
Old 08-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
Makwa

Quote:

Am I way off base?
You are not off base about survival shows in general.

But... the gear is made by good companies. I have a few pairs of Bear Grylls hiking pants made by Craghoppers that are excellent. They are lightweight but wear like iron. Love them. The only negative is the stupid BG logo on them. You look like a rube wearing them but it's worth it given their quality.
Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #15
wiiawiwb

I'm a fan of Les Stroud but have never been impressed with BG. In his show, he does things that someone, alone and having to survive, would not do. It helps boost his ratings.

Having said that, if nothing else, it brings the subject of survival gear and preparation into the spotlight. Lord knows, we'll all seen too many examples of people out on the trail woefully ill-prepared for their endeavor. If BG can reduce that number, I'm pleased.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:10 PM   #16
skillzman1

I watched this show a few weeks ago where he took the lady star along and they boiled larvae in the water extracted from elephant dung. The only problem was they were camping next to a waterfall??? I get the point that if you HAD to, you could survive doing that, but who in their right mind would see that as a viable option next to a natural stream and waterfall?
As far as survival type shows go, I have actually employed things learned from these shows in a situation that I put myself in when I was new to bushwacking a few years ago. So I was glad for the education.
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #17
Tug Hill

Funny they waited until after Black Fly season .
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #18
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
Ha! Now that episode would be a good one.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
It still may be fun to watch Shaq trying to swat away swarms of deer flies.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #20
Buckladd

My "real" job is with a media company called Gracenote (formerly Tribune Media Services) in Glens Falls/Queensbury. We just posted a blurb and photo (man, he's a big dude) about this to our website:
http://www.yourtvlink.com/the-best-s...nday-8-29-2016

Part of my job is writing about TV Sports for this website and helping to administer our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/yourtvlink/

Ironically, other than sports, the Weather Channel and a few choice hunting shows I don't watch much TV, but I will set the DVR for this one.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote