Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Telemarkmike

Caltopo - One up on Acme Mapper?

[Cross Posted at ADKHighPeaks.com]

I know many of you (and myself) have been using Acme Mapper and other things as tools for your mapping needs. I’m curious how many of you have tried CalTopo; and if you have, what do you think of it? If you haven’t seen it, you can look at it at Caltopo.com

I just discovered the site and while I’m still playing around with it, so far I like what I see. It was first developed as a backcountry mapping tool to aid in search and rescue in California. Some of the features I like:

- Slope Angle Shading (great to help plan a bushwhack or climbing route. Not all areas have the feature available yet)

- Historic map topos (to see where old roads and trails were located, and what has changed in an area)

- You can draw your own maps and save them to the web. You can view your map with different map source layers

- You can import your own GPX files and view them with any of the map sources as a background

- You can export maps to Google Earth

I find lots to like. What does the jury say?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

It looks pretty cool, Mike!
I have already added it as a favorite at home and here at work...
I especially like the fact that it has a search feature, very convenient.
Also, the topo overlay on the sattelite views are pretty helpful.
Thanks for the info!!

Tags
caltopo.com, mapping