Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
46in7

46 attempt in a week (or less)

Beginning to research routes, kind of a crazy idea I came up with over the summer. I was made aware of the fkt for the 46 while I was training for a 100 mile race last spring, I know I have a 0% chance of coming close in 3 days, but the 46 has always been a bucket list item. So I decided to give myself a week to complete them all. I致e done 14 high peaks, some I致e ran more recently and i had hiked a few when I was younger.

I guess I知 just trying to gather as much information as I can right now. I will be shooting for a late July/early August timeframe. Have an idea of how I知 going to do this, my major issue are the bushwhacks, I plan on covering a lot of ground in the darkness. Is there anyone that has attempted this recently or in the past?
46in7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:51 PM   #2
Makwa

I would suggest posting this over on the ADKHighPeaks forum. There are some folks over there who have completed speed rounds (and hundreds more who follow every attempt very closely and will happily offer up opinions).

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/
Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

With a week to play with, there's a few different ways you could do this. Unsupported vs supported; all day hikes vs. overnights; carry all your food from the get-go vs. resupply along the way, etc. Any method will be a challenge to be sure.

IMO, assuming that you are planning to camp in the backcountry: your biggest logistical challenge is going to be factoring in the bear canister. There is a new regulation coming that requires that overnight visitors carry and use a bear canister across the entire High Peaks- not just the Eastern High Peaks as with the current regulation, but including every High Peak except for Giant, Rocky Peak Ridge, Whiteface, and Esther. From what I've heard, the plan is for this regulation to be implemented starting in 2020. This means that for the bulk of your trek, you'll need to carry a canister, and that all of your food will need to fit in the canister.

Regarding timing: The later in summer you can do it, the better your chances of having mostly good weather become (particularly, you're more likely to avoid thunderstorms/severe weather if you go in August). However, early summer gives you noticeably longer days with more daylight to hike in.

Generally speaking, I also think that the more first-hand knowledge of the trails and herd paths involved that you've accumulated prior to attempting this, the more likely you are to successfully achieve this goal. Even some of the "marked and maintained" trails can be a beast to try and follow in the dark- especially some of the infrequently hiked connector trails that you'll likely need to traverse while attempting this, such as the Bradley Pond-Duck Hole trail, or the East River trail between Flowed Lands and Allen. And even though the herd paths are generally well traveled and easy to follow despite being unmarked, I could definitely see locating and navigating some of the unmarked junctions to be a challenge if you weren't already personally familiar with those routes. In other words, it would not be a bad idea to try get out and hike as many of the peaks you have remaining prior to attempting them all within a week.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
Makwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Generally speaking, I also think that the more first-hand knowledge of the trails and herd paths involved that you've accumulated prior to attempting this, the more likely you are to successfully achieve this goal. Even some of the "marked and maintained" trails can be a beast to try and follow in the dark- especially some of the infrequently hiked connector trails that you'll likely need to traverse while attempting this, such as the Bradley Pond-Duck Hole trail, or the East River trail between Flowed Lands and Allen. And even though the herd paths are generally well traveled and easy to follow despite being unmarked, I could definitely see locating and navigating some of the unmarked junctions to be a challenge if you weren't already personally familiar with those routes. In other words, it would not be a bad idea to try get out and hike as many of the peaks you have remaining prior to attempting them all within a week.
Agree with this 100%. There have been several speed round attempts by people with limited local knowledge than went rather poorly. Others totally underestimated the difficulty of the task and bailed mid-attempt (and were never heard from again on the forums). Familiarity with the trails is paramount. Knowing the trails will help with planning so that you're not biting off more than you can chew each day. Difficulty is not often apparent on a topo map. Having traveled the ground you intend to cover in your challenge will give you the best chance at planning a successful route.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Neil
Admin

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...ater-this-year

The discussion in this thread relates to a speed record attempt. However, most of the information is pertinent to what you have in mind.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Neil
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46in7 View Post

I guess I知 just trying to gather as much information as I can right now. I will be shooting for a late July/early August timeframe.
You will need to begin your specific training in January. 4 weeks to transition from whatever you do now and then 6 months of progressive work. I recommend, even in winter, hiking at least 2 days a week. You should progressively build up to about 20,000 vertical feet or more per week and string consecutive days together.

As soon as the snow has melted you will want to experiment with your actual planned days. Ie. if you think you will do The Santanoni and Seward Ranges in a single day during the big event then you should do the exact same route as a training hike.

You can backpack but hiking out and sleeping in a bed, eating good food and carrying only a daypack may compensate for the added mileage. Also, camping itself takes time and energy.

Your training bible: Training for the New Alpinism.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
TCD

Yes, Neil's right. Train.

DS is also right, get familiar with the routes, so you can run them mindlessly.

Spend time with Jan (a former record holder), if you can, who can really help you with planning and route details.

7 days is reasonable, if you are a trail runner with a high metabolism and good recovery. I never tried it, but when I was 35, I think I would have had a good shot at getting it done in 7 days. You don't have to be a superman for that time. (Whereas for the current record time, you in fact do have to be a superman).
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
richard1726

Go in June, you will have max daylight and Outrunning the blackflies will speed you along. Hope you can do about 7min mile pace.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #9
Makwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1726 View Post
Go in June, you will have max daylight and Outrunning the blackflies will speed you along. Hope you can do about 7min mile pace.
I wouldn't add a layer of mental torture to an already difficult challenge. Black flies can be awfully annoying and potentially jeopardize the whole plan.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I haven't seen blackflies during the first week of June. I have seen it snow mid May, but mostly on mountain tops and soon disappears. The air is moderate, not hot and not cold. A little like early Fall, good weather for vigorous adventures.
Just be cautious downhill and do not attempt to go faster than your skill level. A twisted ankle or a fall and slide can ruin more than one day.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
tenderfoot

Pit Crew

I would be open to the idea of positioning myself in the back country with cold water, hot meal, portable trail food and even a tent pitched and waiting. Cruise in, recharge, cruise out...

Such an endeavor you plan is beyond me I fear, but I can still lend a hand...
Old 12-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
46in7

I wanted the attempt to coincide with my 40th birthday, so early to mid August will probably be the time frame. If anyone can point me in jan’s direction it would be much appreciated. I follow him on Strava but have never met the man.
Tenderfoot, I was really hoping that I could get a few volunteers out there, a hot meal could really lift one’s spirits! I have a couple of running friends who have offered to aid me a couple of days. I think realistically if everything goes well, (big IF), I could get it done in 5 days.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #13
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Not at all to discourage you from attempting it in 5 days if that's what you desire (and possess the fitness for)... but if you have a week available, and aren't trying to set any records, why not take advantage of the full week? When you start looking at a time frame like this, every unit of decrease in the total time taken brings with it an exponential increase in the difficulty.

IMO, if you consider a 7 day itinerary instead, your chances not only of success, but also enjoyment of the experience improve considerably. And if you have access to both the Saturday before and the Sunday after, a 9 day itinerary improves your chances of both by an even greater amount. And either itinerary still gives you serious bragging rights.

Worth considering at least, I think.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
Makwa

Quote:
If anyone can point me in jan’s direction it would be much appreciated. I follow him on Strava but have never met the man.
He is jwellford on this forum and the High Peaks forum. You could try messaging him. Try going through the High Peaks forum for that. According to the member list on this forum he hasn't posted since 2009. Who knows if the e-mail notification of a private message would even go to an active e-mail address. He was active over on the High Peaks forum as recent as the last speed round attempt though.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #15
46in7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Not at all to discourage you from attempting it in 5 days if that's what you desire (and possess the fitness for)... but if you have a week available, and aren't trying to set any records, why not take advantage of the full week? When you start looking at a time frame like this, every unit of decrease in the total time taken brings with it an exponential increase in the difficulty.

IMO, if you consider a 7 day itinerary instead, your chances not only of success, but also enjoyment of the experience improve considerably. And if you have access to both the Saturday before and the Sunday after, a 9 day itinerary improves your chances of both by an even greater amount. And either itinerary still gives you serious bragging rights.

Worth considering at least, I think.

You池e probably correct on this. Planning on a Friday morning start
Old 12-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #16
tenderfoot

Quote:
Tenderfoot, I was really hoping that I could get a few volunteers out there
Well, keep us up to date on your route. You also wish to recruit help for dropping you off at trail-heads. "parking" and "August" go together like "black fly" and "fun."

We used the fantastic Keene shuttle for a Fall weekend jaunt. It was great but added 20-30 minutes on either end of trip.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #17
Neil
Admin

Back in Feb. of 2014 I did the 46 in 10 days. You can see from my peak groupings how you might want to move peaks around to do it in X days. You will be 40. I was 59. I trained hard for 6 months beforehand and the project went by very smoothly.

1-Donaldson, Emmons, Seward, Seymour
2-Panther, Couch, Santanoni
3-Gray, Sky, Marcy, Haystack, Basin, Saddleback
4-Giant, RPR, Whiteface, Esther
5-Big Slide, Lower, Upper Wolf Jaws, Armstrong, Gothics, Sawteeth
6-Dix Range
7-Wright, Algonquin, Iro, Marshall, Street , Nye
8-Allen, Cascade, Porter
9-Redfield, Cliff, Colden , Tabletop, Phelps
10-Dial Nip, Colvin, Blake

Last edited by Neil; 12-16-2019 at 07:12 PM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #18
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I remember Neil. What an accomplishment!
Old 12-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #19
46in7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Back in Feb. of 2014 I did the 46 in 10 days. You can see from my peak groupings how you might want to move peaks around to do it in X days. You will be 40. I was 59. I trained hard for 6 months beforehand and the project went by very smoothly.

1-Donaldson, Emmons, Seward, Seymour
2-Panther, Couch, Santanoni
3-Gray, Sky, Marcy, Haystack, Basin, Saddleback
4-Giant, RPR, Whiteface, Esther
5-Big Slide, Lower, Upper Wolf Jaws, Armstrong, Gothics, Sawteeth
6-Dix Range
7-Wright, Algonquin, Iro, Marshall, Street , Nye
8-Allen, Cascade, Porter
9-Redfield, Cliff, Colden , Tabletop, Phelps
10-Dial Nip, Colvin, Blake
Thanks Neil, I think I値l use this to some extent. I think I知 going to set the itinerary at 6 days.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #20
Woodly

Quote:
Thanks Neil, I think I値l use this to some extent. I think I知 going to set the itinerary at 6 days.
Please, keep us informed of needs and progress
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote