Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

follensby clear pond area changes

After googling around for 30 minutes, I figured I would just come here and ask my question, since I'm sure someone has an answer. Why is it so hard to find a new campsite map for the follensby clear pond area? I read there were a lot of changes made, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to find of map of what the changes ended up being. I thought they closed half the campsites and moved (or removed?) the lean-to but I can't find anything current using google. I was trying to determine two things: Where the new campsites were and whether you could winter camp there (with potential for ice fishing). I can find a contour map, which doesn't really help. Thanks!
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The UMP contains maps, including a map of the proposed site closures (10mb PDF): http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...aclakesump.pdf

The UMP suggested that the existing site closures and new site construction should take place within a year of the plan's approval- so by April 2020. Honestly, though, I wouldn't be surprised if relatively little work had been undertaken as of yet towards achieving this objective. Given that the PDF map for the area on the SLWF remains unchanged, one would assume that none of the sites have yet been closed- but I unfortunately wouldn't put it past the DEC to have done so without updating the map, either.

Yes, you can camp in the winter there- when I stayed in the lean-to, I snowshoed across the ice to get to it. Ice fishing is permitted their also as per the DEC website.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
The UMP contains maps, including a map of the proposed site closures (10mb PDF): http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...aclakesump.pdf

The UMP suggested that the existing site closures and new site construction should take place within a year of the plan's approval- so by April 2020. Honestly, though, I wouldn't be surprised if relatively little work had been undertaken as of yet towards achieving this objective. Given that the PDF map for the area on the SLWF remains unchanged, one would assume that none of the sites have yet been closed- but I unfortunately wouldn't put it past the DEC to have done so without updating the map, either.

Yes, you can camp in the winter there- when I stayed in the lean-to, I snowshoed across the ice to get to it. Ice fishing is permitted their also as per the DEC website.
Thanks, I didn't realize they had specified it could take up to a year - I had found the old map but assumed it wasn't current. I also found the ice fishing page you linked me to, but for follensby clear there seemed to be a link for "special regulations" which takes you to another page that as far as I can tell, doesn't mention FCP. Not exactly intuitive, at least to me! The map inside the UMP was what I was looking for. They should put those somewhere besides the ass end of a 500 page PDF file! Thanks again.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Thanks, I didn't realize they had specified it could take up to a year
It's usually safe to assume that finishing everything listed under the timeline for the first year of implementation of a UMP will like take at least 10 years.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
It's usually safe to assume that finishing everything listed under the timeline for the first year of implementation of a UMP will like take at least 10 years.
And for some timelines, even finishing the UMP!!!

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
Lucky13

Quote:
Dat's da fact, Jack.

How long since the MRP UMP was finished? Lots of that one that hasn't even been started.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
And for some timelines, even finishing the UMP!!!
The West Canada Lakes Wilderness is 40 years (give or take a few years) past deadline for a completed UMP.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
that as far as I can tell, doesn't mention FCP. Not exactly intuitive, at least to me!
The general regulation for Bass was changed (fairly recently) to allow c&r with artificial lures year round for most of the sate, Franklin co being an exception (thus "special reg"), FCP falls under "Fishing for black bass (including catch & release) is prohibited outside of the open season"

As is typical with DEC:
"No Hope Pond (300 feet north of Hope Pond)"
So you can't camp between the two and satisfy the 150' rule...
Old 12-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #9
serotonin
ember

DEC: Department of Eternal Confusion.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
vapaddler

I was by the shelter (AKA lean-to) in October, it is still there. also I don't think any campsites are closed yet. The peninsula site just east of the lean-to is probably a candidate for closing; it has been very heavily used and beaten down over the years.

Agree things tend to get "far behind schedule" with DEC in my limited experience.
vapaddler is offline   Reply With Quote