Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
myselfnjit

Need trip help.

I will be in the high peaks area June 3-6th. I was thinking about hiking into the flowed lands from the upper works, doing skylight and gray one day and finally getting Allen on another day(number 41). I am concerned about the water levels for crossings ad stuff. any info or recommendations would be a GREAT HELP!
Steve
myselfnjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
T46pks
46 - #6461/28W/15FT/NPT

You should have no problem with Skylight and Gray, That's pretty straight forward. Allen on the other hand, Depends on how high the opalescent river is, I think you will be ok, I don't think there has been too much rain and the snowmelt should be slowing down a lot at this point so the water level should be crossable. For more info check here: http://www.adirondackbasecamp.com/cu...ns-high-peaks/ Though they usually just say its not crossable in high water conditions. Other than that you should be good to go. Hope that helps!
T46pks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
SummitHat
That was fun

If you are camping at Flowed lands and will cross the Opalescent from that side I suspect you can get across without the water being too deep.

The crossing along the route from the Allen/Adams trailhead is also possible according to a PM I received a few weeks ago.

JoeCedar rock-hopped across Opalescent April 20; for more info see his TR at http://forums.adkhighpeaks.com/showthread.php?t=11344 .

I'll be in the area tomorrow. If I pass by the Opalescent I'll post an update on crossing conditions there.

Last edited by SummitHat; 05-15-2010 at 03:53 PM..
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
myselfnjit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitHat View Post
If you are camping at Flowed lands and will cross the Opascent from that side I suspect you can get across without the water being too deep.

The crossing along the route from the Allen/Adams trailhead is also possible according to a PM I received a few weeks ago.

JoeCedar rock-hopped across Opalescent April 20; for more info see his TR at http://forums.adkhighpeaks.com/showthread.php?t=11344 .

I'll be in the area tomorrow. If I pass by the Opalescent I'll post an update on crossing conditions there.
is there a good herd path from the flowed lands? the only route I know of would have me hiking back towards adams and then out. I would LOVE info on another route if it will save time!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
SummitHat
That was fun

There is a maintained trail (with red markers) that runs from the Flowed Lands south along the Opalescent River, past Hanging Spear Falls, and continues south, on the east side of the river. The river crossing occurs far upstream from where the waters of the Upper and Lower Twin Brooks drain into the Opalescent. Further south the trail meets the Allen herd path.

Coming back from Allen you can choose whether to return to the Flowed Lands (i.e. if you're camping there), or follow the maintained trail (yellow markers) to head out to the Allen/Adams trailhead. In the latter case you have to cross the Opalescent where it is wider.

The maintained trails referred to should be easy to find on trail maps of the Adirondacks.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
myselfnjit

Quote:
There is a maintained trail (with red markers) that runs from the Flowed Lands south along the Opalescent River, past Hanging Spear Falls, and continues south, on the east side of the river. The river crossing occurs far upstream from where the waters of the Upper and Lower Twin Brooks drain into the Opalescent. Further south the trail meets the Allen herd path.

Coming back from Allen you can choose whether to return to the Flowed Lands (i.e. if you're camping there), or follow the maintained trail (yellow markers) to head out to the Allen/Adams trailhead. In the latter case you have to cross the Opalescent where it is wider.

The maintained trails referred to should be easy to find on trail maps of the Adirondacks.

Hope this helps.
that helps a bunch. that will be my route! now I will just hope some people post some trip reports about the water level and weather in the next few weeks!

thanks
Steve
Old 05-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
SummitHat
That was fun

I crossed the Opalescent twice today. As the suspension bridge is out there is a well-marked temporary trail nearby that leads to a fording where the river is wide but shallow. The water level today was 14" at the fords deepest point. This is higher than virtually all hiking boots, so you would be well advised to bring along water shoes or the like, plus a sham wow or camp towel to dry your feet before resuming the trail. The water is cold!

The point at which the herdpath to Allen joins the trail from Flowed Lands to the Adams trailhead is marked in two ways: (i) a junction post which includes a log sign with "Marcy" carved into it, plus both red and yellow trail markers, and (ii) nearby is a tree bearing a massive log sign with "Allen" carved into it, pointing to the herdpath.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
myselfnjit

Quote:
I crossed the Opalescent twice today. As the suspension bridge is out there is a well-marked temporary trail nearby that leads to a fording where the river is wide but shallow. The water level today was 14" at the fords deepest point. This is higher than virtually all hiking boots, so you would be well advised to bring along water shoes or the like, plus a sham wow or camp towel to dry your feet before resuming the trail. The water is cold!

The point at which the herdpath to Allen joins the trail from Flowed Lands to the Adams trailhead is marked in two ways: (i) a junction post which includes a log sign with "Marcy" carved into it, plus both red and yellow trail markers, and (ii) nearby is a tree bearing a massive log sign with "Allen" carved into it, pointing to the herdpath.
so apparently very obvious huh?
well that is awesome. that is my route. if anyone knows anything else that I should know please send it forth!
thanks again
Steve
Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
SummitHat
That was fun

A couple pics

The junction between the trail and the Allen herdpath looks like this:
10051629tr_AllenHerdpathJunction.JPG

The Opalescent crossing from the west side looked like this:
10051623tr_OpalescentRiver.JPG

Again, the water was only 14" at its deepest.

There's more info in the trip report I'll post soon.

Enjoy the journey!