Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
adkman12986

Un prepaired hikers

This is just crazy. Dont know why or what they were thinking

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...iIvsGbzUhkkvYU
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Neil
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
This is just crazy. Dont know why or what they were thinking

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...iIvsGbzUhkkvYU
Crazy huh? I've seen it before in uber-fit youngsters barrelling up the trail with nano-packs. Also seen torn up designer jeans in winter with tiny packs. Had these guys not lost the trail and been unable to get back onto it (poor nav skills?) we would never have heard about them. I doubt the sneakers were responsible for their predicament.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
Hear the Footsteps

Hmm March 16...Saturday. Probably a busy day on Giant.

Last year descending Gothics we crossed paths with a hiker climbing wearing running shoes using the post holes in the cornice for traction. I speculate these fellows learned these best practices from their friends. So they were thinking this is OK.

The report begs for more details. Exactly where they were or how they got lost. Wrong turn to Rocky Peak Ridge?

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
Neil
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I doubt the sneakers were responsible for their predicament.
Sounds like they were. They were post-holing crotch deep and their feet and pants were soaking wet. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I rest my case!
Old 03-20-2019, 06:17 AM   #6
JohnnyVirgil

The sobering thing about this week's report (to me, anyway) was that there were two heart attack deaths, and they were both younger than I am. Gulp.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
Neil
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
The sobering thing about this week's report (to me, anyway) was that there were two heart attack deaths, and they were both younger than I am. Gulp.
Get your butt into the gym right now! Failing that, go for a snowshoe.

Conditions have been very tough this winter. Breaking trail in deep snow uphill with less than optimal fitness can be a real killer.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Get your butt into the gym right now! Failing that, go for a snowshoe.

Conditions have been very tough this winter. Breaking trail in deep snow uphill with less than optimal fitness can be a real killer.
I'm on it. I'm up to 3-4 miles a day on the treadmill with a full pack. I know it's not the same as actually hiking, but..it's better than nothing. I need the link to your workout again.

I'm trying to get in hiking shape for the coming season. I sucked out last year. Too many cushy canoe trips with the wife.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
Terasec

Quote:
Always a fear of mine as i hike with kids
Always making sure they can get back to the trailhead without me
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
Neil
Admin

It's easy to point self-righteous fingers at kids in sneakers in winter but what about some of us whose unpreparedness, fitness and health-wise, is a SAR episode waiting to happen?

Instead of making condescending remarks the usual comment is "at least he died doing what he loved". (To which I like to reply, doing what he loved? What? Dying of a heart attack? Who loves that?)

I'm sure we have all seen middle-aged, overweight men, beet red in the face and perspiring heavily as they painfully creak their way up the trail.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
Wldrns

Not just about unprepared SAR subjects, but also frequently the untrained off-the-street volunteers that often show up to "help out". Family, friends, and others wanting to take part. The first thing the crew boss has to do when meeting the assigned volunteers in his/her crew is to survey them for proper footwear, clothing, and obvious fitness. If any arguments, I have on occasion had to call over a ranger to back me up when I suggested that such a person might be of better help by staying back at Incident Command or at the staging area. There are usually important but safe jobs there that need to be done without special clothing or heavy exertion.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Quote:
I'm on it. I'm up to 3-4 miles a day on the treadmill with a full pack. I know it's not the same as actually hiking, but..it's better than nothing. I need the link to your workout again.

I'm trying to get in hiking shape for the coming season. I sucked out last year. Too many cushy canoe trips with the wife.
I have been taking cushy solitary canoe trips for the last several years instead of hiking, but my theory is that I can make up for it by bicycling with the canoe to get to my destination. That way if I am going to have an exertion-induced collapse it will be on or beside the road where someone will notice and it'll be relatively easy for the local EMS people to pick up the pieces. So far it hasn't been an issue, but life is full of uncertainty.

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #13
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I just don't get it...crotch deep in snow with sneakers. While I could chalk it up to youthful bliss, they put others at risk with their need to be bailed out.

A couple years ago, I was skinning up my favorite BC ski spot. Half way up the mountain was a family of four, you guessed it, crotch deep in snow, dragging their children along on the snow on their backsides, as if the kids were some sort of pulk. When I mentioned that it must not be fun, and maybe they should have proper equipment, they said they couldn’t afford all that stuff. Okaaaay... I never saw them after my first loop, so I suppose they survived.

And I was coming down from Mt Adams, when it 1st become accessible to the public, while the upper part was still a bushwhack. I met a couple coming up, at 4:00 on a late September Sunday. They had nothing with them except a shared 1 liter bottle of water, half gone already. In the casual chit chat I mentioned that the upper part of the hike is not marked or maintained, and gets considerably steeper. No response.
I also made note of the guy, who's cotton T shirt was already sweat soaked all through. They laughed it off, he's a sweater, she said. I tried my best to deter them from becoming a statistic, maybe I succeeded, since I never read about them...

I just can't understand how some folks can be so clueless and cavalier.

Last edited by stripperguy; 03-21-2019 at 07:54 PM..
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

The unprepared/uneducated thing is getting a little old. Perhaps itís time for some stronger changes, especially in some of these high-use areas where many of these type of stories seem to continue to come from year after year after year.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:40 PM   #15
rickhart

The first time I tried a high mountain, many years ago in my mid-twenties, a friend & I started up Tuckerman Ravine to Mt Washington. I was wearing old Bass Weejuns, had a very small, old canvas daypack containing lunch & two bottles of beer, and was dressed inappropriately for the hike. The beer bottles exploded part way up. It started raining as we got to the headwall. Luckily my friend convinced me to turn back when we got to the severe-weather warning sign.
Hopefully the guys in the report will learn, and hopefully continue hiking.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #16
Neil
Admin

P.T. Barnum actually said, "there's an unprepared hiker born every minute."
Old 03-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The unprepared/uneducated thing is getting a little old. Perhaps itís time for some stronger changes, especially in some of these high-use areas where many of these type of stories seem to continue to come from year after year after year.
Justin, of course you are 100% correct. But Albany has zero interest in doing anything that's going to help. Instead, they are busy putting up signs that no one reads. And they are busy destroying the parking areas. You are a knowledgeable person who can help others, and someone we really need in the woods! But when you come up here, there will be no place for you to park.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
Hopefully the guys in the report will learn, and hopefully continue hiking.
Wouldn't it be something if out on a future trail they would care enough to warn others they see who are similarly unprepared. But I won't hold my breath thinking it will happen.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Justin.... But when you come up here, there will be no place for you to park.
Iíll just Uber.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #20
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
A friend worked in the armed forces and did a lot of SAR. He always said that the best educator was a ticket. I'd add the cost of the rescue on top of it.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote