Carry Falls Reservoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry Falls Reservoir

An impoundment of the Raquette River, sort of out of the way but nice.
    Anyone been there??
    Jim

Carry Falls reservior & Jordan River

I did one trip there in May 1998. There was car camping access to maybe 6 sites at the "Parmenter Site" (then owned by NIMO I believe) E of Rt 56 perhaps 5-6 miles N or Rt 3. Not a wilderess feel, including road noise. I ended up launching there but camped well S of there (150 ft rule) not far N of Jamestown Falls. There was an unmarked dirt rd with access to the river just N of the falls.

I didn't see any attractive campsites on the reservoir away from Parmenter. I'm not tempted to return as there are many preferable destinations elsewhere for my tastes.

More enjoyable was the trip up to & along the Jordan River. Wheeled up my kayak then paddled for a while. Lots of blowdown and slow progress in the river. Camping there may be better (but some work to get there and not sure of sites). I was offered (and accepted) a ride in a truck back to the reservoir from one of the private club members.

Many changes in land ownership there over the years and some talk about a bridge over the river near Jamestown Falls. Some interesting hiking along the river upstream from there. There is whitewater several places around & portaging vs. paddling may be appropriate.

Comment

A few years back, around ice-out, we did Carry Falls, Blake Falls and Rainbow each on day trips. Nice area but nothing memorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob K View Post
        I did one trip there in May 1998. There was car camping access to maybe 6 sites at the "Parmenter Site" (then owned by NIMO I believe) E of Rt 56 perhaps 5-6 miles N or Rt 3. Not a wilderess feel, including road noise. I ended up launching there but camped well S of there (150 ft rule) not far N of Jamestown Falls. There was an unmarked dirt rd with access to the river just N of the falls.

I didn't see any attractive campsites on the reservoir away from Parmenter. I'm not tempted to return as there are many preferable destinations elsewhere for my tastes.

More enjoyable was the trip up to & along the Jordan River. Wheeled up my kayak then paddled for a while. Lots of blowdown and slow progress in the river. Camping there may be better (but some work to get there and not sure of sites). I was offered (and accepted) a ride in a truck back to the reservoir from one of the private club members.

Many changes in land ownership there over the years and some talk about a bridge over the river near Jamestown Falls. Some interesting hiking along the river upstream from there. There is whitewater several places around & portaging vs. paddling may be appropriate.
        There are some nice campsites on islands below the Jordan (down stream).
        Jim

Comment

Carry Reservoir and Stark are low traffic areas and because of that they are nice to visit. It's a pass through if you run the river from Piercefield. There are far fewer folks here than at Rainbow or Higley.

Comment

I go to carry falls a good bit since I have a camp on Higley Flow.

Paramenter is a 20 site pay campground on the upper end of the lake there is a free boat ramp there. Below the launch site is a primitive campsite on an island on the right near the mouth of the Jordan River. With another site on the left shore farther down the lake. There are camp sites on the island down by the dam also.

There is a canoe launch on the long lake arm near Catamount lodge on rt 56. You can also hike into the lake on the trails maintained by Catamount Lodge as well as the top Catamount mountain. The trail head is about 1/4mi past the canoe launch on rt 56. The third boat launch is at the dam and accessible from stark rd.

The best time to go to Carry Falls is this time of year as the power company draws down the water level through the summer and exposes large sand beaches great for swimming and sunbathing. Boat traffic is not usually to bad as there is a lot of lake to spread everyone out.

Comment

Working...
            X