Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Day Paddle Trip with Kids

Hi folks,

I'm taking my nephew and niece (9yo&7yo) on an uncle adventure weekend over Labor Day. We are planning to paddle, camp, and fish. I was thinking Raquette Lake, but am concerned about the crowds we may run into. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Thanks!

Any lake that allows motor boats is likely to be very busy on Labor Day weekend, especially if the weather is nice. If you're planning to paddle, I would probably look into a trip on a motor-free water body. Lows Lake, Lake Lila, or Little Tupper Lake are all possible options. Each has plenty of first-come, first-serve campsites, and while you'll likely run into a lot of other groups camped out at any of them, I would be kind of surprised if you weren't able to find an open site somewhere. Just make sure to get an early start, and be prepared to have to paddle an extra mile or two to find a site.
    Last edited by DSettahr; 08-13-2015, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Yo natch,
      I used to take my nieces and nephews too!! We had some great times, some of them still come with me, though they are well into adulthood.

Did you say this would be a camping trip? Have the kids camped before?
      And would you rather stay more in the southern ADK's? Northern? Maybe Western or Eastern? What sort of boat do you have?
      With these questions answered, we can give you the ideal spot (OK, maybe not, but close!)

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses! The kids have lean-to camped before, and are ready to step it up to wilderness camping. We are bringing two sea kayaks, a foldable one for myself and the 7yo, and a hardshell for the 9yo. Looking for minimal mileage, but I can always tow if need be. I'm picking them up in southern CT. I was hoping to balance driving distance with relative solitude. Seems like there aren't many options in southern ADK.

Comment

Good Luck Lake has many campsites but may not be as secluded as you'd like. There is ample paddling on the Sacandaga though.

Maybe not as far south as you might like, but Thirteenth Lake has many water access only sites, along with a bunch of walk to sites...

And the southern end of Garnet Lake has direct access and some good sites. I've heard the fishing is good there.

How about Jabe Pond? Maybe too far north again...but again, direct access to the water and some nice, quiet water.

Comment

Thanks Stripper! Really useful leads

Comment

So, I've been excited about Jabe Pond, but I'm worried that with the holiday weekend and nice weather those sites will be gone by the time we arrive on Saturday morning. Between Garnet, Jabe and Thirteen, any thoughts on where we are most Likely to find an available paddle-in site?
              Thanks!

Comment

I personally would probably go with Thirteen but I'm not super familiar with any of those lakes. As a general rule, the furthest you get away from I-87, the quieter the backcountry becomes (with the exception, of course, of the High Peaks).

Comment

DEC map on state land interactive mapper shows 11 designated sites. If you strike out there, 13th has 9 paddle to sites. 13th is popular with day trippers and the sites right near the launch will ALWAYS be occupied.
                  Good luck and have fun!!

Comment

Vehicle clearance may be a consideration if planning to drive to Jabe Pond and road condition is no better than last fall.

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
                      DEC map on state land interactive mapper shows 11 designated sites. If you strike out there, 13th has 9 paddle to sites. 13th is popular with day trippers and the sites right near the launch will ALWAYS be occupied.
                      Good luck and have fun!!
                      I was told by the backcountry steward assigned to patrol that area that 13th Lake has 13 designated sites.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't count the ones before the put in...

Comment

Working...
                        X