Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > ADKHighpeaks Foundation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
Jennhart

Question Giant or Phelps Mountain

Hello! We are going to the Adirondaks and want to take my 9 year old hiking. My husband has been told that Giant and Phelps are appropriate for kids. My son has asthma and is overweight. I am worried about setting him up for failure or worse putting in a situation where he could get hurt. Am I worried for nothing? Any advice you can give me would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Jennhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennhart View Post
Hello! We are going to the Adirondaks and want to take my 9 year old hiking. My husband has been told that Giant and Phelps are appropriate for kids. My son has asthma and is overweight. I am worried about setting him up for failure or worse putting in a situation where he could get hurt. Am I worried for nothing? Any advice you can give me would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Both have their steep places. Giant is a bigger hike altogether.

Here's a link to lake placid area hikes. Note Owl's Head is closed weekends
Baxter is an easier one with a view.
http://www.lakeplacid.com/do/outdoor...1-2-Hour-Hikes

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
mohawk
chief

Adirondacks is huge! It is not limited to Giant and Phelps.

If you are worried as a parent of taking your son hiking, who has asthma and is overweight, why not ask his doctor for advice? And if you are " worried about setting him up for failure or worse putting in a situation where he could get hurt," why even think about taking him hiking? My advice: take him to a nice boat ride on Lake George. He would love it.

Instead of taking him hiking, just because you may want to, why don't you ask him if he wants to hike? When I was 9, I did not want to hike!
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:50 PM   #4
peskypup

Has he gone hiking in the past? If not, I absolutely would not start him off with a High Peak. That definitely is setting up for failure. The link Hear the Footsteps posted has a number of shorter, less steep hikes to get his feet wet and gauge how he'll do and whether he enjoys being in the woods. Start from there and, if he enjoys it and can handle it, work your way up.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:15 AM   #5
mohawk
chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypup View Post
Has he gone hiking in the past? If not, I absolutely would not start him off with a High Peak. That definitely is setting up for failure. The link Hear the Footsteps posted has a number of shorter, less steep hikes to get his feet wet and gauge how he'll do and whether he enjoys being in the woods. Start from there and, if he enjoys it and can handle it, work your way up.
I agree with you partially but disagree partially as well. The child has problems. There may be other problems associated with the ones being discussed by his parent. You and the rest, and me, myself and I, should not be recommending any "climbing to the peaks" sort of hikes. Gentle walks in the Adirondacks woods are still very nice hikes. I do them all the time. Let's abort steep and semi-steep climbs.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
webby459

I don't know about Giant, but the last mile off the main trail to the peak of Phelps is pretty difficult. My 9yo is very light and has the lungs of a distance runner, but Phelps left us both pretty worn out.

How about something like Sleeping Beauty instead?
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #7
SESZOO

If you want to give him a start , try the Wild Center in Tupper Lake , or one of the Visitor interpetive Center ,at Paul Smiths, ,both have easy trails and a lot for the kids to see and explore ,. Would consider that before taking him out on a full scale hike
SESZOO is offline   Reply With Quote