Lake Lila on weekends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Lila on weekends

Hi all. I'm hoping to go to Lake Lila the weekend of July 18-20th. Unfortunately I won't be there to launch until about 10-10:30 AM best case. My question: How challenging is it to get a campsite that "late" on a Saturday.

As well, any tips, info and/or suggestions are always welcome from those familiar with the lake.

Thanks in advance,

Wood

In my experience it is busy but I always found something.
    I suggest checking out shingle shanty brook, and on the way check out sites nearby which have nice beaches.
    If you find nothing head across the lake to hike Mnt Frederick which offers a great view and a few sites over there are nice as well.

Comment

I camped at the lean-to on the west shore a few weeks ago, and while I was there I checked on a couple of the tent sites in the vicinity. It was pretty obvious that some of them get very, very little use. I'd think that your chances of finding an open site on Lake Lila are pretty good just about every weekend, but I'm sure some of the nicer sites get snatched up pretty quickly on the weekends. It sounds like the island sites in particular are pretty popular.

Comment

Even if the parking lot seems full, there will still likely be sites available. It seems that the lot holds fewer cars than available site, plus there are sometimes day-trippers there.

I've been to Lila twice now on weekends in July and I would say that 30-40% of the sites were available. The island sites are usually snapped up quickly, but it depends. Last year we went, the islands were all booked on Friday, but 3 or 4 opened up on Saturday. Also, Site 12, which is down the Beaver a little ways looks like it hardly ever gets used.

Comment

Thanks for the info. all. Here's hoping for decent weather.

Comment

Lake Lila

I was there last weekend (Thursday to Saturday) I would say you chances are really good of getting a campsite, especially those near the Beaver River, I checked a few and I agree some looked very seldom used, The Island ones and the few with nice sandy beaches fill up quickly, but the ones across the lake from the entrance seem to remain open.

Comment

I've been twice on Memorial Day w/e and although the parking lot was nearly full, there was no one on the lake. We had the nice sites with the sandy beaches both times. Go for it!

Comment

My son and a friend went in last evening and found only two sites open. They didn't like either and ended up going to a different lake this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by woodcamper View Post
                  Thanks for the info. all. Here's hoping for decent weather.
                  I'm at Paul Smiths now. The forecast is for thunderstorms all day the 18th (Tupper Lake)improving Sunday Thunderstorms Mon am.

Warm. Wet . but the only danger is the t storms that might be hit and miss.

Comment

Went to Lila this past Friday. Few sites were open, opted for #8 as we were getting tired looking.

We left on Sunday morning and as previously noted, a better time to paddle in as many of the sites were open again.

Just an observation, just up the road is Round Lake. Not a car in the parking lot that Sunday morning.
                    John

Comment

Hope to go paddle Lila in a few weeks.

Question

Did read up on the Shingle Shanty Brook thread from early this year. Still not to sure about how far one can paddle legally?

Also can we paddle Beaver River into Nehasane Lake? Also read a few posts about that.

Thanks.

Comment

From Lila it is about 3 miles upstream (and 2+ Beaver dams) to the private lave boundary. There is a take out there with portage. 85 mi. to Lily Pad pond. Sign post but no cable at boundary plus a downed tree needing carry over or around. Past there OK if you stay in boat or use shortest portage to pass through.

Beaver paddle able until first dam (road?) less than 1.mile from Lila.

Comment

From what I understand, you can paddle downstream from Lila to the dam on the Beaver River. It's private land from there, but I *think* you are within your rights to carry around it and continue, despite what the owners may say. Check with the local ranger or DEC.

Comment

Originally posted by dundee View Post
                            but I *think* you are within your rights to carry around it and continue, despite what the owners may say.
                            Not to say that it hasn't been done, and that you may or may not be within your rights, but know that the property owners are adamant about keeping out who they consider to be trespassers. Even though I was well out on the water, a landowner shook his fist and yelled at me to get off "his" lake when, without intent to go beyond, I paddled into Nehasane Lake from Lila. I would strongly urge you to review the past cases regarding the ALC and the Moose River, as well as the more recent Shingle Shanty Brook case. Just be prepared to make a couple of lawyers wealthy.
                            "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Check cars in the lot for canoe racks and check the register and dates before giving up. Sometimes many are hikers or day/through paddlers or coming out that day.
                              Turtle

Comment

Working...
                              X