Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canoeing Hudson between Warrensburg & Albany / Albany NYC

Hello,

Has anyone canoed the stretch of the Hudson between Warrensburg, NY and Albany? What is it like (in terms of scenery, river flow, etc.)? Additionally, has anyone canoed the stretch between Albany and NYC? How is that trip?

Thanks!

~Anna

I have not paddled it. But this year at least, there should be plenty of water.

Much of the river is shallow and wide above Hadley. Make sure to get out before Rockwell Falls at Hadley! Once it picks up the Sacandaga at Hadley it's a big river.

From Hadley to Hudson Falls, there are several (7?) dams that must be carried. After that, it's pretty flat with a few canal locks to Albany. Watch for power boats.

Scenery:
    Warrensburg to Glens Falls - "Adirondack."
    Glens Falls to near the capitol district - Mixed use farm / small town.
    Capital District - Scrap metal.

Comment

Lower Hudson is tidal all the way to Albany. People do canoe the Hudson. Its quite pretty close to New York City

Comment

As a kid I took a group trip with a local guide; I think it was about 3 days - we started somewhere up on the Walkill, and took out somewhere near the Tappan Zee bridge. This was almost 50 years ago, but I remember the scenery was cool on the Hudson. Some cliffs, lots of neat old buildings, etc.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone!

~Anna

Comment

I seriously thought about doing this trip...from Ft. Edward to NYC. I know someone who kayaked it from Lake Champlain. He just pulled over and camped the several days it took...and I suppose that's still do-able for rough riders. Personally, I wouldn't do it in a canoe or kayak. I would have chosen in a more stable rowing dory. Although I was really looking forward to the scenic and historic aspect of the Hudson, the water quality is not good. Yes, it's gotten better but it was recently deemed the twentieth most polluted river in the US. During periods of high rain, raw sewage from city sewer systems, from Glens Falls on down, overflows into the river...a deal breaker for me.
            A tidal chart would be good to check whilst on the Hudson below Troy. The twice a day push and pull of the river will be important to know.

Comment

Working...
            X