Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #1
Theoandchloe

Split rock mtn wild forest

Is anyone familiar with these trails? Iím researching hikes in this area because my sister is coming hiking with us this summer and she prefers not hiking more than 500-600 feet elevation gain. Iím thinking of Lewis clearing bay trail to the overlook and back? (leaving out the last bit to the water because it looks too steep for her)
If there is a nicer trail there thatís not too steep, please let me know.
I love coon mtn, but I think it may be too steep for her. I think she could do mt van hoevenburg because the climb is not that steep.
Thanks
Theoandchloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:43 PM   #2
Kevin7

I wasn't very much impressed when I hiked this area a couple of years ago. It was heavily wooded with rather limited views. It is also the only place in the Adirondacks where I have encountered a lot of mosquitoes in August.

Great short hikes include Owl's Head (open weekdays only), Baxter Mt., Big Crow, Little Crow.
Kevin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:23 PM   #3
TCD

Yeah I agree. Woods road type walking. It's easy, certainly. And there are a coupe places like Barn Rock that are neat. But the only excitement in there is the rock climbing and the mountain biking. Just walking the area is pretty mild.

If you do go there, be aware of rattlesnakes (they are there, but in several visits I have not seen one). Also, the area has a lot of porcupines (I have seen several) so if you bring a dog, keep the dog in control.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
Theoandchloe

Thank you for your responses! I was hoping for Lake Champlain views, but it sounds like the overlooks arenít that impressive. We will definitely hike the crows since the elevation gain from crows clearing isnít too steep.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
Woodly

As KEVIN7 said Baxter is an excellent mtn to climb, its easy, short and has great views, just be sure to hike each bump or little summit. When you look down onto the river stop and turn around.

And you can park on the E-town rd and return. You don't have to descend into KV and leave a car at each end. Good spots on top for sitting and snacking
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #6
OntarioSkiBum

Waterfall trails provide a nice payoff without the elevation gain.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 AM   #7
Theoandchloe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSkiBum View Post
Waterfall trails provide a nice payoff without the elevation gain.
Yes, Iím thinking rocky falls would be good.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
TCD

If you are wanting to see waterfalls, don't forget all the roadside falls that you can fit in if you have an hour to spend. Also, the falls in the Ausable Club area. (I know waterfalls is a bit of a sidetrack from the OP.) Rocky is OK, but it's a long walk to just an OK waterfall...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote