Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
EastOfMidnight

Double blade paddle for solo canoe

I have a 12' Placid Spitfire. Altough I really like a single bladed paddle, I'm considering a double blade for overall efficienfy. I''m 5'10" tall, 72 yrs old. Am looking for recommendations for both length and brands and models. I am not interested in spending multiple hundreds of $, but of course I'd like light weight, strength, etc...
Thanks in advance for positive recoimmendatioms.
EastOfMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
snapper
snapper

You might want to check into Aqua Bound paddles. They are relatively lightweight and, in my opinion, well balanced. Both traits will serve you well when paddling. I know these paddles are used in a lot of rental programs and with guide services so I can definitely tell you that they hold up over the long haul. You can purchase a good paddle from them for just over $100.00; and you might be able to find one on sale for less. Here's their website: https://aquabound.com/

As for length, I have a Placid "Shadow" and find my 230 to be just the ticket. A longer paddle shaft will allows for a lower stroke but I wouldn't go any longer than a 240. Of course, as the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

That's all for now. Best of luck in finding the right paddle. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
EastOfMidnight

Thanks. I've also been thinking about a 230, but on longer paddles I might appreciate a lower paddle angle so 240 might be good too. I'll have to try some out.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
dpc34

i would go longer, because you sit lower in the boat the longer paddle is nice..at least in a Hornbeck....enjoy
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Nehasane

If you want to stay under $200, Aquabound is good and light but I've seen some broken ones. Go over $300 and Werner is great.
230-240 cm is good unless you are a racer who would go even shorter.
240 will get less water in the boat - just remember that the forward stroke ends at the hip.
Note that a double bladed paddle is close to twice the weight of a single bladed paddle if made from the same materials. A carbon $400 Werner Kalliste weighs ~25ozs & a $125 wood Bending Branches Espresso weighs 19 ozs ( carbon single blades can weigh as little as 8ozs.).
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
Rich Lockwood

my favorite

I use a bending branches navigator when using a double blade. it's lite, efficient, doesn't drip much and it's the quietest double i have tried.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
Wldrns

If you work a single blade skills, your overall efficiency will improve with that mode too. I gave up on the double with my RapidFire in short order because I so much prefer to use a single. I only bought a double because that was at the time recommended by Joe for the average Joe. But I guess I did not want to be an average Joe when it comes to paddling. There's not much in wind or waves worth going out in that I can't get through very well with my single blade. I'll give it to you that with a double you can speed along a couple of tenths mph faster, but at the cost of giving up enjoyable flexible maneuverability and putting up with drips.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
jblaser

Bending Branches

I have a BB double-bladed paddle, 230 cm. I paddle two solo boat: a Sawyer Autumn Mist and a Hornbeck 12 ft. It works well with both. I found the cost reasonable and the paddle is good quality.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
EastOfMidnight

Decided to go with a 230 Aqua Bound Sting Ray carbon. Found a new, unused one for $100.