Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #21
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
My other research says the text from home would be an international call on a cell phone. That would probably be a deal breaker.
That I can't answer. You may have to reach out to Garmin and/or your phone service provider for more info on how it would be charged. Although I'm not sure why a text message would be charged as an international call
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #22
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
but I don't know of any other GPS product that offers similar capabilities.
As mentioned in the 2nd post of this thread, SPOTX. Two-way messaging, tracking, navigation, SOS, etc. However, it's a brand new product (from the makers of SPOT) whereas InReach has at least two generations of refinement.

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php
Old 06-20-2018, 12:49 AM   #23
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
@timberghost

Wouldn't this just be due to A-GPS? It uses Wi-Fi or cellular data to acquire GPS almanac and ephemerides. Even if location services are off, A-GPS could periodically download data to be ready for when services are enabled (i.e.to minimize TTFF, Time To First Fix).
The point of that security forum post was that even with all data, gps and location services supposedly OFF, the phone was updating the gps sat database.
If all those services were not running, the device would not be able to do get updates. (It was obviously running gps receiver service, and keeping track of "fine location".)
The problem, as described, was: "fine location" is one quick location fix away - 90 seconds tops. Pretty much any time you'd connect this device to the internet, it could be giving your location away.
It could be down to "device administrator" app/process or OS itself but it was a device "feature" from the manufacturer. It might have been a "bug", but was observed on a number of different devices from different manufacturers over several OS revisions (wasn't a known bug in Android OS at the time).

Anyhow, this is way off topic.

The point was that to get a location fix "in the boonies" with only one cell tower antenna tracking someone's phone it may well take over half hour if the device looses gps signal while acquiring geo-sat database and has to start over.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:55 AM   #24
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
My other research says the text from home would be an international call on a cell phone. That would probably be a deal breaker.
I'd imagine that would depend on what "phone number" is assigned to your spot/in-reach device.
A text to an international or toll area code would be charged as such...

Perhaps the person was using a European or other international company for their sat com service.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #25
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
The point of that security forum post
Well, if you ever find that link, I'd like to read it.

Quote:
The point was that to get a location fix "in the boonies" with only one cell tower antenna tracking someone's phone it may well take over half hour if the device looses gps signal while acquiring geo-sat database and has to start over.
I'll chalk it up to being a corner-case where the GPS receiver experiences a stone-cold start AND has a very poor view of the sky (i.e. barely gets lock on multiple satellites and only intermittently). Normally, it doesn't take 30+ minutes to get a GPS fix and thank science for that!
Old 06-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #26
Rich Lockwood

my latest info is that a reply would be routed through a usa #, but a non reply text would be international. Confusing and I want to be sure.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote