Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
Banjoe

Stolen Kayak(s)

My wife had her brand new kayak stolen from a rack on Cayuga Lake, the cable locking it to the rack was cut in two places. The first time we put it there I thought how easy it would be for someone to use a saw to cut the 2x4 rack but I guess bolt cutters are quieter and probably quicker. An employee of the boat club said in 10 years they've never had a theft and this year have lost 3. Perhaps they'll move the rack closer to their building and install some cameras, but it's too late for some of us.
She is keeping an eye on what pops up on craigslist for a pretty good radius around us, but I thought posting here might expand the reach. Considering I was planning to use it to guide her on swims in the Adirondacks this summer it is also Adirondack related.
It's an orange Wilderness Tsunami 145 (has a rudder). If you see one listed
for sale anywhere, probably described as "brand new", please let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gone.jpg (56.7 KB, 263 views)
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
daveys69

That’s just plain sucks! I’ll keep my eyes out and let you know if I see on Craigslist or Facebook here in Burnt Hills, ny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daveys69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoe View Post
My wife had her brand new kayak stolen from a rack on Cayuga Lake, the cable locking it to the rack was cut in two places. The first time we put it there I thought how easy it would be for someone to use a saw to cut the 2x4 rack but I guess bolt cutters are quieter and probably quicker. An employee of the boat club said in 10 years they've never had a theft and this year have lost 3. Perhaps they'll move the rack closer to their building and install some cameras, but it's too late for some of us.
She is keeping an eye on what pops up on craigslist for a pretty good radius around us, but I thought posting here might expand the reach. Considering I was planning to use it to guide her on swims in the Adirondacks this summer it is also Adirondack related.
It's an orange Wilderness Tsunami 145 (has a rudder). If you see one listed
for sale anywhere, probably described as "brand new", please let me know.
did you file a police report?
I had numerous items stolen from my camp once,
about a year later I got a call,
they found my kayak, person was caught on another robbery and my kayak turned up in inventory cross check
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Just a thought but if you’re on Facebook & haven’t done so already you should share your post & photo on a few of the many Adirondack related pages such as Adirondack Paddling or the “Hiking, Camping, and Paddling Ideas in the Adirondacks and New York” group. Best of luck to you!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #5
electbc
Outdoorsman

You can also put a post under "Lost and found" on Craigslist, not just finger lakes but also surrounding regions. Also, see if sporting goods stores in area have bulletin boards that you can post. Talk to the owners of small sport shops, someone may be in the market for a paddle now or to sell the boat.
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
geogymn

That's a bummer. I checked my local craigslist to no avail. Will keep an eye out.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
Banjoe

Thanks for replies and suggestions. We've done all those things and more but are not optimistic. She talked to the shop where she bought it and they said they hear from customers quite often who have had items stolen (boats, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc.) and only a few have ever been recovered.
The organization who owns the rack (at a boat club) has sent a message to all their customers to alert them of the recent thefts and asked the sheriffs to patrol more often.
We haven't gotten any word yet but are curious about all the racks the city owns along the waterfront and whether there have been thefts this year. Some of them are in very isolated locations, the one we rented a slot on is at a boat club and adjacent to a town park.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Klinkhamer

re: Stolen kayak

I always worry a bit when my kayaks are on my roof rack and if I should get those anti-theft straps or cables from Thule, etc. to help deter thieves. There are a couple gear swaps I saw posted on FB (Paddling the Adirondacks group) that are coming up. Keep eyes out there if someone has a 'hot' boat they want to get rid of. Sorry for your loss.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
richard1726

It maybe insured for full value against loss via your credit card if you used a card to buy it. Many cards offer this "free" service for a certain time period after purchase.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
... She talked to the shop where she bought it and they said they hear from customers quite often who have had items stolen (boats, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc.) and only a few have ever been recovered...
We haven't gotten any word yet but are curious about all the racks the city owns along the waterfront and whether there have been thefts this year. Some of them are in very isolated locations, the one we rented a slot on is at a boat club and adjacent to a town park.
Obviously I’m just speculating here but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of an inside job.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #11
Banjoe

We've done plenty of speculating but can't say it's gotten us far.
The credit card does have a partial refund, and after the deductible our homeowners will cover a little more. Interesting statement by an insurance agent, "That's a good question, I don't know if it will make your premium go up." My wife suggested she find out as that is her job.
Here is a picture of the cable that was cut. I've tried to cut it with various types of pliers without success, but I don't have a bolt cutter which is probably what was used as the cuts are very clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180623_084130219.jpg (115.9 KB, 175 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #12
JohnnyVirgil

https://www.amazon.com/Defcon-Notebo..._&dpSrc=detail

I have one of these that came with my laptop. I've used it in hotel rooms. It sounds like a smoke alarm when it goes off, but it's vibration/movement activated. Might be a deterrent in the future, at least if there are people around to notice someone messing with your stuff.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
richard1726

I keep my toys out of sight.
My son invests in a can of bright pink spray paint formulated for plastic. In Hawaii, where petty crime crazy rampant, (he never locks his cars, they will just break a window) he has never "lost" any plastic ice chests, ladders, kayaks or other toys disfigured with his messy "custom" pink paint jobs. They are stored in obvious sight of the street. Stand up paddle boards are locked up deep in his back yard with pricey bike locks. {address withheld}
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #14
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I'm sorry to hear of your situation, it must be frustrating. Is there a serial number or something so that if a boat like yours turns up somewhere it is possible to positively identify it? It looks to me like the thief may have used cable cutters, bolt cutters would not work well on cable in my experience of them. I don't own any cable cutters myself but I've seen them, and they have a bypass cutting action which makes very nice clean cuts, while bolt cutters (which I do have) have fatter jaws which never quite meet, and work by cutting into the bolt and then acting as a wedge to break it. The other thing that would make fast cuts in cable would be a power tool with an abrasive cut off wheel, but you'd be able to see the swirl marks in that kind of cut, most likely. I hope you'll be able to find the kayak somehow.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #15
madison

Seems to me the boat club, where I assume you pay to keep your kayak, bears the responsibility for this. They should replace your kayak and the other stolen boats. I hope they at least returned the fee they took to store your kayak for the season.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #16
Lucky13

Quote:
We've done plenty of speculating but can't say it's gotten us far.
The credit card does have a partial refund, and after the deductible our homeowners will cover a little more. Interesting statement by an insurance agent, "That's a good question, I don't know if it will make your premium go up." My wife suggested she find out as that is her job.
Here is a picture of the cable that was cut. I've tried to cut it with various types of pliers without success, but I don't have a bolt cutter which is probably what was used as the cuts are very clean.
Those cables melt very quickly when a hand held oxyacetylene torch is used on them. Lost two Bikes to gain that knowledge!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #17
Buckladd

Very similar...
https://albany.craigslist.org/spo/d/...622290021.html

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/s...624140642.html

Last edited by Buckladd; 06-25-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #18
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
140 vs 145? I don't know what the difference is.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #19
electbc
Outdoorsman

Banjoes' was Orange.
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote