Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
Nairb

10 to 15 mile hike. In/out or loop

Hey everybody. Looking for some suggestions. I'm trying to find/plan a weekend trip. Hoping to spend Friday and Saturday night and hike out Sunday. I typically can't get out of work earlier than 430pm on Friday and I'll be driving from Syracuse. I was thinking somewhere I can hike in a few miles to a nice spot on Friday evening and then move camp in the morning to a different spot and then be back out by afternoon on Sunday. Thanks everyone. Can't wait for your suggestions.
Nairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
Wldrns

The closest best place for you would be the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness
https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/91261.html

or the Black River Wild Forest
https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/75310.html

You can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

West Canada and Silver Lakes Wilderness are close too, and have more remote possibilities.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
Nairb

Thanks guys. I'll bust out the Nat Geo maps and start scouting a route in those areas
Old 06-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
tughillblueline

Gonna be a hot one this weekend, especially Sunday. Cooler "up there" than in 'Cuse, tho. Stay hydrated and take 'er easy.
tughillblueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Not necessarily 10-15 miles but a loop trip I’ve been meaning to do in the Blue Ridge Wilderness... Hike into Wilson Pond, bushwhack past Brady Pond & Mitchell Ponds to Cascade Pond, hike back out via the newly marked crossover trail back to the Wilson Pond trail, being sure to also visit the waterfall along Mitchell Ponds outlet just below the marsh along the crossover trail.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
Nairb

Thanks everyone. Justin, that looks like it would be a nice trip but maybe I'll keep that one in mind for when I can get away from Syracuse a little earlier on a friday. Looks like it would be just under 3 hour drive. Could be wrong though I didn't check the gps.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
Banjoe

Nairb,
Not sure if you meant the weekend just passed or one in general so I'll recommend Black River as well. My benchmark for drive-time is Old Forge in exactly three hours (it happened several times before I really believed it) and for me, getting to Syracuse is the first hour of that. Most of my visits in the area have been winter but there are many opportunities for the type of hiking you've mentioned and getting a decent start before dark on the Friday.
I always recommend taking at least Friday afternoon off work as well.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
Nairb

Thanks Banjoe. I guess I didn't specify when I'd be going but I did mean in general. Hopefully I'll be able to get enough stuff done around the house to get out on the trail once or twice before the end of the month.