Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

Remote fire tower peak with no tower.

If anyone is interested in peaks that once had a tower, which has been removed, my wife and I once visited a rather obscure one. We thought the tower would still be there but it was long gone. In Croghan Township in Lewis County (In or very near Watson's East Triangle Wild Forest) there is a peak named Bald Mountain. My maps indicated the presence of a tower. The road leading up to its base is a very good gravel road but there is no trail. We did see some blazes but the area was a maze of old logging roads overgrown with blackberry brambles. It was essentially a bushwhack. Just below the summit we encountered a pile of garbage (an archaeologist's cornucopia maybe?) Here is a link to a map that shows the peak.
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.0...19323&z=14&b=t
Old 09-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Lucky13

It is located in the Lassiter Conservation Easement, and the road is off the Long Pond Road. On the SLIM it looks like the road has been rerouted slightly since the map was made. There appear to be two rocky outcroppings, one approximately where the tower shows on the map, and a meadow area with a beaver flow that is also not on the map, although the low spot shows on the map. Were there any views from the old tower site?
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Neil
Kayak-46

No views. While my wife drove I followed the road on the laptop with a GPS connected and it followed exactly the tracing as shown in my link. We spent two weeks in that area (thanks to a tip from wldrns/nessmuk) paddling and hiking.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
Golddragon214

This isnt too far from me. Looks like an interesting trip. Thanks for sharing.
Golddragon214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
Lucky13

I have a friend who has a place on the other side of the Indian River up there, near Bearstown State Forest. I've been studying the area for fishing opportunities for a while. The West Branch of the Oz looks very interesting in that area, we just need to find some time to get it together. He's asked me to come up for hunting season, so maybe I'll take the ride in late October.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote