Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #21
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Great photos, Justin! Looks like you had near perfect weather.
Too bad about the misuse, but we all knew that was coming, didn't we...

Oh, and I thought you usually paddle that Blue (or was it green? gray?) Ghost.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #22
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Justin, I can see the photos now; did you re post them, or just fix it some other way?
I created a (public) album on Google photos, then went through & re-posted the link to each photo. I donít remember ever having to do that in the past, used to be able to just copy the link and that was it, public or private.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #23
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Great photos, Justin! Looks like you had near perfect weather.
Too bad about the misuse, but we all knew that was coming, didn't we...

Oh, and I thought you usually paddle that Blue (or was it green? gray?) Ghost.
Thanks Mike. Haha yes...the (Green) Blue Goose...45 years old & still going strong, but is heavy as hell & has been retired to lazy canoe camping trips with easy put-ins.
The red Great Canadian is a little smaller & much lighter.
You’ve asked me that before.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #24
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks Mike. Haha yes...the (Green) Blue Goose...45 years old & still going strong, but is heavy as hell & has been retired to lazy canoe camping trips with easy put-ins.
The red Great Canadian is a little smaller & much lighter.
Youíve asked me that before.
The question was really a lead in to see when you're gonna build that solo stripper...
Old 09-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #25
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
The question was really a lead in to see when you're gonna build that solo stripper...
Hopefully this winter if & when work slows down a bit.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #26
jblaser

Great photos Justin! Thanks for sharing. The ponds were on my list, now they moved up on it!
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #27
Lucky13

Great photos, thank you for the effort.

I am wondering what makes the woods sites "illegal" as , at least in the photos, they could well be >150 feet from the Pond, as could your spot be <150. How do you measure, carry a calibrated rope?. The use of the boulder as a backstop for a fire was relatively common in the 1800's, there is a spot on Lower Mitchell Ponds that is now too close to the pond, but was obviously employed for years prior to the regulation, with a leaning boulder the size of a house. The Fire pit for the shore lean-to on Eighth Lake is set up with a boulder behind it to reflect heat into the lean-to. Maybe leaving the grate was not a good idea, but I've seen pix on this sites of NYS lean-to's with entire cooksets left mounted to the side of the structure. At least it looks like a little too far in for the High School beer party set, those bottles appear to be from pretty long ago! And No feesh?
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #28
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post

I am wondering what makes the woods sites "illegal" as , at least in the photos, they could well be >150 feet from the Pond, as could your spot be <150.
To me it just seemed like LNT would mean not leaving burnt fire pits strewn around next to the road. And as for the others, even if you are 150+ feet from water or trail, I wouldn't leave a fire pit and grates behind. And if the soot marks and fire pit weren't already against the boulder, I'd never actually be the first one to set that up if I wasn't in a survival situation, since you are obviously going to leave a mark. Probably just me though.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #29
Lucky13

I guess I question whether it is better to truly leave no trace and scatter the ashes and put all the rocks back, or, once a site is determined to be "street legal", to leave a safe fire pit and possibly dissuade someone from developing a less safe site maybe closer to the pond. I didn't question the rings by the road, they are obviously less than 150 feet from the "trail"(but is the guidance clear on what constitutes trail, is a fisherman's path a trail, or a deer runway, or only a NYS designated trail or roadway?). Possibly the only way to completely leave no trace is to prohibit anyone from camping until sites are designated. When the MRP UMP originally proposed getting rid of so many road campsites, I argued that that would push campers closer to the waterbodies, and due to the scarcity of appropriate and legal sites would eventually result in developed campsites even if everyone practiced "leave no trace," as the dry. open, level areas were limited and would still get used over and over. This would increase use near the waterbodies and lead to at least some degradation of quality of the area and of the experience. I like to think my comments were at least in part responsible for the changes that went into the final UMP which created the "camp near the road, day use further back in" system maintained in the MRP (or backwoods camp if you want, just follow all the rules, but I have found, and cleaned up, a couple of real pigsties left by the " need to be further back in" crowd). I have only used designated campsites in my travels, and from looking at the beautiful photo journals of many wilderness areas I've seen posted on here, I could likely plan on doing that for any wilderness trips I decide to do, so I am used to seeing fire rings (I wish they didn't nearly all contain tinfoil!) and I definitely appreciate a well maintained privy ( and always have a bag of lime in the car in case I have to do the maintenance.)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #30
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post

I am wondering what makes the woods sites "illegal" as , at least in the photos, they could well be >150 feet from the Pond, as could your spot be <150. How do you measure, carry a calibrated rope?. The use of the boulder as a backstop for a fire was relatively common in the 1800's, there is a spot on Lower Mitchell Ponds that is now too close to the pond, but was obviously employed for years prior to the regulation, with a leaning boulder the size of a house. The Fire pit for the shore lean-to on Eighth Lake is set up with a boulder behind it to reflect heat into the lean-to. Maybe leaving the grate was not a good idea, but I've seen pix on this sites of NYS lean-to's with entire cooksets left mounted to the side of the structure. At least it looks like a little too far in for the High School beer party set, those bottles appear to be from pretty long ago! And No feesh?
Camping is currently legal at Boreas Ponds if you abide to the 150’ regulation. At the site that we camped at (for my 3rd time now) I counted 48 strides from the closest water’s edge to the rear of the fire pit. This I did on our first visit shortly after the tract opened for public use back in May ‘16. My strides are roughly 3 feet apart when I’m trying to gage distance. 48 x 3 = 144 give or take. Two more strides and I’m right where we were all standing & sitting in front of the fire pit, which was already there, we just cleaned it up a little & added a few more stones for safety measures. There is an open stone pit nearby, presumably from the days when the old camp was active, so gathering a few more stones was easy & left very little impact if any.

The nearest place to land a canoe is about 300 feet away from the fire pit, and I noticed on this last trip that you can no longer even walk to the closest water’s edge with all of the new blowdown that has fallen just in the past 2 years.

Ultimately I believe it’s up to the Ranger’s discretion weather to issue a violation citation or issue an educational warning, and if we end up getting in trouble for basically reclaiming an obvious old camping site from long ago then so be it. I’ll happily comply.

The fire rings along the road, close to the water, and up against the boulder with cut trees made into a table were a little disappointing, but quite honestly the toilet paper blossoms that I found along the tree line near the dam is what bugged me the most. Other than that there was really no other trash that I found to speak of. And yes, the old bottles at our campsite have obviously been there a long time, a couple of which had broken since our last visit, so I carried them out. The rest we left there as part of the visual history of the old camp, whatever that may be. It’d be interesting to found out.

I only caught one pumpkin seed, but honestly didn’t fish a whole lot. Was mostly just having fun floating, exploring around, and enjoying the views once again.

Last edited by Justin; 09-25-2018 at 06:15 PM..
Old 09-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #31
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ultimately I believe it’s up to the Ranger’s discretion weather to issue a violation citation or issue an educational warning, and if we end up getting in trouble for basically reclaiming an obvious old camping site from long ago then so be it. I’ll happily comply.
As long as you didn't have any marijuana or meth, you'd probably get a warning. I was actually serious about that in my other post (they'd probably ticket you for crack/cocaine as well, but apparently weed and meth are the popular ones). Exact words from a Ranger. And he said "we", as in other Rangers should or would do the same.

Nice pics btw. I'm surprised at the lack of color change though. Thought we'd be about midway about now.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #32

Aren't fires not allowed in this area?
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #33
JohnnyVirgil

Boreas Ponds Revisit

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
As long as you didn't have any marijuana or meth, you'd probably get a warning. I was actually serious about that..

Coincidentally enough, I found this Sunday at CRF.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #34
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2505 View Post
Aren't fires not allowed in this area?
I don’t see anything on the NYSDEC web page for the Boreas Ponds Tract prohibiting campfires (yet)... https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/107504.html

Found this through the “General Information on Backcountry Camping” link:
Quote:
Fires should be built in existing fire pits or fireplaces if provided. Use only dead and down wood for fires. Cutting standing trees is prohibited.

Last edited by Justin; 09-25-2018 at 08:39 PM..
Old 09-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #35
Lucky13

Where fires are allowed, they are only allowed for smudge, heat, or cooking, and they have to be small, although they could be a lot larger than I would build anywhere pictured in the woods.

Thanks for a great answer, Justin, and for the pix.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #36
adirondackcamper

Amazing pictures as usual Justin. Nice job man👍 I gotta add Boreas Ponds to my bucket list for certain
adirondackcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #37
snapper
snapper

It all looks great to me. Thanks for taking us along and posting your photos. They could be enough to induce others to walk in with a canoe!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #38
yardsale

Justin,
Are any of those mountains in the background close enough to climb? Any herd paths or formal hiking trails accessible from those ponds?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #39
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Coincidentally enough, I found this Sunday at CRF.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is that thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Justin,
Are any of those mountains in the background close enough to climb? Any herd paths or formal hiking trails accessible from those ponds?
The mountain arc that surrounds Boreas is the Great Range, and then the ridge that runs south through Allen to the North River Mountains.

All the "trailed" mountains are much more easily climbed by the existing trails from the north and west, at least at this time. Some of the bushwhack targets like Cheney Cobble might be easier from Boreas; Neil would be the expert.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:14 PM   #40
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is that thing?
Colloquially known around these parts as a "pot pipe." This one is slightly upscale I would guess, being made of blown glass.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 10-04-2018 at 12:54 PM..