Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
Edb 46 er

Snowshoe boots

Looking for some information on a quality pair of boots solely for snowshoe bindings. I've had Sorrel's which were warm and made of leather and rubber. The problem was the leather separated from the rubber and have completely falling apart. Leaving the boot useless.

The bindings on my snowshoes cover the toes and the rear of the heel, so, I am looking for a sturdy toe that will not collapse. Warmth and lastly a price that will not break the bank?

Any suggestions?
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Tick Magnet

I had the same problem with separation on my LL Bean boots. I was going through a pair a season. Sure, they will fix them, but they're not made for snowshoe bindings.

For the past couple years I've used Vasque Snowblime (Mod. 7840).

http://www.vasque.com/USD/product/me...brind-ud-07842

They're a little heavy and take some getting used to. However, for my type of snowshoeing (non-high peak climbing), they work great. They have a "ridge" built in the back to hold the binding strap, but at size 13, I had to adjust my bindings to get them to fit properly.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
I had the same problem with separation on my LL Bean boots. I was going through a pair a season. Sure, they will fix them, but they're not made for snowshoe bindings.

For the past couple years I've used Vasque Snowblime (Mod. 7840).

http://www.vasque.com/USD/product/me...brind-ud-07842

They're a little heavy and take some getting used to. However, for my type of snowshoeing (non-high peak climbing), they work great. They have a "ridge" built in the back to hold the binding strap, but at size 13, I had to adjust my bindings to get them to fit properly.
Nice boots, but 3 season? How are they in cold winter temps?
Old 01-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
If I'm just standing around, they can be a little cool if I don't layer my socks properly. I've used them for snowshoe/ice fishing trips and they're good. They're also pretty good for bare-boot hiking and micro-spiking.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

For the past 3 winters so far I’ve had good luck with These ...using them year-round, with lots of off-trail.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
For the past 3 winters so far Iíve had good luck with These ...using them year-round, with lots of off-trail.
Holding up well Justin? No cracks in the rubber or separations?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
I think it said it "looks like a 3-season boot," not that it was, i.e., not like a pack boot, maybe?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Edb 46 er

Found these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AUS3NHX2&psc=1
Old 01-08-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
montcalm
Mobster

My significant other has a pair of these in the women's version:

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hikin...Espresso/Brown

She uses them for everything from hiking to snowshoeing. Says they are the best boot she's ever had. And she's had a lot - Asolos, Salomons, etc...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
My significant other has a pair of these in the women's version:

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hikin...Espresso/Brown

She uses them for everything from hiking to snowshoeing. Says they are the best boot she's ever had. And she's had a lot - Asolos, Salomons, etc...
Great boots I would say, but $230.00 will break me pretty hard.

Thanks Montcalm
Old 01-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

Yeah - Lowa's are expensive. I want a pair for myself, but I can't afford it

They actually make some really nice trekking/hunting boots too.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Yeah - Lowa's are expensive. I want a pair for myself, but I can't afford it

They actually make some really nice trekking/hunting boots too.
Really high quality boots cost more money, no doubt. I had some Asolo's that lasted 5 years and all I did was keep them clean. Great boots. I have Keen PCT's that will do for now but certain bindings don't stay cinched will them. Also, they are not waterproof like they claim. Gaiters are a must with them.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #13
bioguide

I needed a new pair of snowshoe/ski boots this year as well. I looked into several and had several suggestions made to me on another forum. I ended up with a pair of these pac boots: https://www.zappos.com/p/baffin-sequoia/product/8570946

Baffin is a reputable maker and these are pretty light for a pac boot at 1lb 13oz/boot. I like that they have a removable liner so I can hang them to dry at the end of the day. They have a heel shelf for binding straps as well. I did have to buy a full size larger than my regular boot size as the liner made the toes just a little to snug for my liking and that was with a nylon sock liner and 1 pair of heavy wool socks. I also had to shorten the laces so I could just tie the boots rather then use the "speed-lace setup and toggle system" I think is useless. So far I'm impressed with their lightness and warmth although I can't vouch for their durability yet as I haven't been on a real trip with them...
Old 01-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #14
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
I needed a new pair of snowshoe/ski boots this year as well. I looked into several and had several suggestions made to me on another forum. I ended up with a pair of these pac boots: https://www.zappos.com/p/baffin-sequoia/product/8570946

Baffin is a reputable maker and these are pretty light for a pac boot at 1lb 13oz/boot. I like that they have a removable liner so I can hang them to dry at the end of the day. They have a heel shelf for binding straps as well. I did have to buy a full size larger than my regular boot size as the liner made the toes just a little to snug for my liking and that was with a nylon sock liner and 1 pair of heavy wool socks. I also had to shorten the laces so I could just tie the boots rather then use the "speed-lace setup and toggle system" I think is useless. So far I'm impressed with their lightness and warmth although I can't vouch for their durability yet as I haven't been on a real trip with them...
Hi Bio, I had a look at the Baffin's as well. Nice boots, keep us updated if you can.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #15
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

+1 for Salomon Toundras, especially since they are one of the few true cold-weather hiking / snowshoe boots available for women.
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote