Hornbeck Canoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stability

What I meant was that my wee lassie was marginal, not any of my other high seat solos. I have tried paddling other 10-12' pack boats from an improvised high position and had similar experience. I too prefer paddling with a single blade from a high seat. The rapidfire is much like my hemlock kestrel which was fine.

Comment

I tried the keewaydin 14 and found it a little "tippy" and ended up buying the Rapidfire. It has plenty of room and fairly easy to get in and out of. Sitting on bottom with back support and foot peg was alot easier on my back.

Comment

Hornbecks

I've had my classic Hornbeck for 25 years. Bought a second one about 15 years ago. Both are wearing their age well. We've had a couple of repairs done. Pete and he is crew are great to work with.

I put a one inch foam kneeling pad on the seat to raise myself just a bit. This makes the back much more comfortable. The stability is phenomenal! We love taking them out on rough ADK waters! Sometimes, you can even catch a wave and surf it. Most of all, we love the options these very light canoes give us to reach places we would never be able to go with our big canoe (a very heavy Mad River).

And now we are also enjoying teaching our grandchildren to canoe!

Pat T

Comment

"Tippiness" is not necessarily a bad characteristic. Compare initial and secondary stability. A well made canoe may feel tippy but not be dangerously so. The effect is often advantageous for maneuverability and direction control. If you thought the Keewaydin was tippy, you should try the Placidboat Shadow, the RF's narrower sister with a high seat. I tried it out on a very windy day and liked the performance while shifting my weight, but did not want to spend the money after I already had a RF. IMO any of the three canoes are very fine well paddling boats.
          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Great thread - in the same market

I sold my 17.5' Perception kayak last summer...and am in the market for a canoe now myself. I paddled the RapidFire a couple of years ago, and absolutely loved it. They also now have the Oseetah, which is between the RapidFire and SpitFire in size, I gather.

Of the three I'm looking at, the Placid is, of course, the most expensive.

Also looking to try the new Swift Cruiser...it looks interesting, and I'll be in Old Forge next month for Paddlefest to test one. Same weekend, I plan to stop in Olmsteadville and check out the Hornbecks...

My needs are similar to rdl's, except for the dog part...I have a fear that the Placid will come out the best, even if it does cost a bit more.
            “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

I agree, the Shadow is "tippy" That's why I bought the Rapidfire. I hadn't paddled a canoe in forty years so I'm sure I was overly sensitive but I felt comfortable in the RF

Comment

Originally posted by WinterWarlock View Post
                I sold my 17.5' Perception kayak last summer...and am in the market for a canoe now myself. I paddled the RapidFire a couple of years ago, and absolutely loved it. They also now have the Oseetah, which is between the RapidFire and SpitFire in size, I gather..
                No, the Oseetah is actually a kind of C2 tandem that is often paddled with a double blade paddle from both bow and stern positions. Not the mode I would use if I was looking for a canoe.

When thinking price, consider a quality canoe as a long term enjoyable useful investment that you will enjoy for a long time and not wish for something else. If you don't like the RF after you get it, it does tend to have very good resale value. You don't ever see many of them on the after market.
                "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                  No, the Oseetah is actually a kind of C2 tandem that is often paddled with a double blade paddle from both bow and stern positions. Not the mode I would use if I was looking for a canoe.
                  They keep showing it as a solo on their FB page, and describe it as a "downsized RapidFire". Are you thinking of the Ohneka?
                  “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Originally posted by WinterWarlock View Post
                    They keep showing it as a solo on their FB page, and describe it as a "downsized RapidFire". Are you thinking of the Ohneka?
                    Right, my mistake.

Comment

Someone has mentioned "quality", and I'm wondering why the substantial price delta between Hornbecks & Placid/Swift. Is this price delta related to the quality of materials/manufacturing or is it the business model of Hornbeck is direct to customer vs Swift which sells thru dealers. Placid is direct & dealers I believe. I priced the Swift on their website and in Canadian $ its $3,100, which converts to about $2,300 US$. Yet I see prices at US dealers of around $3,000. For the Swift, it would save a person money to travel up to their store near Algonquin, buy the canoe, use it, and then bring it back to the US.

Comment

I wasn't associating "quality" more to any one of the aforementioned canoes more than any other in similar price range. Now if someone introduces Coleman or Radison into the mix, that is a far different story.

Comment

I use the Sawyer Autumn Mist that I have had since the late 80s on "big water" and my Hornbeck on ponds and small streams. I have a snap-on spray cover for the Sawyer that helps in rough water or bad weather.
                          "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
                          - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by VTskier View Post
                            Someone has mentioned "quality", and I'm wondering why the substantial price delta between Hornbecks & Placid/Swift. Is this price delta related to the quality of materials/manufacturing or is it the business model of Hornbeck is direct to customer vs Swift which sells thru dealers. Placid is direct & dealers I believe. I priced the Swift on their website and in Canadian $ its $3,100, which converts to about $2,300 US$. Yet I see prices at US dealers of around $3,000. For the Swift, it would save a person money to travel up to their store near Algonquin, buy the canoe, use it, and then bring it back to the US.
                            For Swift, you can save a little, but not as much as you think; when you add in the HST of 13% that they will charge you regardless of your nationality (in the old days you could file a claim and get that back but no more) plus gas and tolls, it's almost not worth it. As for quality, I had a Hornbeck 12, a Swift 13.6 Pack and currently have a PB Spitfire 13; the Hornbeck is a no-frills boat with a sole goal of minimal weight, it is so fragile that P Hornbeck created a video on how to enter and exit because folks were buckling the sides by putting weight on the gunnels. I can't speak to the Blackjack, tho. Quality is superb on Swift and Placid, but each has other pros and cons.

Comment

Paddle the Hornbeck for distance

I bought a 16 ft Carbon Hornbeck from Peter 11 years ago and I can not say enough good about it. 24lbs and I can keep up with everyone, despite weighing 300lbs. I was a kayaker for the most part, canoe as well, so this boat was the best of both worlds. plenty of room for gear and has float bags when I want to hit Champlain. The low center of gravity is a real. By no means throwing shade at the other boats, but the Hornbeck will be traveling out to Lows this weekend for our annual Ice Out

Comment

Paddle the Hornbeck for distance

I bought a 16 ft Carbon Hornbeck from Peter 11 years ago and I can not say enough good about it. 24lbs and I can keep up with everyone, despite weighing 300lbs. I was a kayaker for the most part, canoe as well, so this boat was the best of both worlds. plenty of room for gear and has float bags when I want to hit Champlain. The low center of gravity is a real plus. By no means throwing shade at the other boats, but the Hornbeck will be traveling out to Lows this weekend for our annual Ice Out

Comment

Working...
                                X