Exploring the environs of Negro Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploring the environs of Negro Lake

I have been told the lake got its name from a strain of brooktrout that had particularly dark bellies. It is how it is labeled on the map and I know of no other name for the body of water, other than an even less acceptable one from older maps.
    It is located in the Five Ponds Wilderness in the Western Adirondacks. The journey would entail 12 miles of lake paddling, 2 miles of trail carry and another 5 miles of bushwhacking. The only objective was to better acquaint with the territory around the lake.
    Photos: https://www.facebook.com/paul.conklin.927
    Last edited by Conk; 05-16-2019, 04:22 PM.

A stunner Paul, thanks for sharing!

Comment

On the older topo maps the lake has a slightly more offensive name listed.

I passed through there a few years ago, on my way from Lows Lake to Stillwater. Canoes were stashed on the north shore, but I had my Hornbeck with me. As I recall it was a very windy day with a strong wind going the length of the lake.
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Conk, as always, thanks for bringing us along. I would have been bummed out thinking I was going to a wilderness area only to find "improved" roads and a off road vehicle. I hope you were able to find some sort of identifiable information on that vehicle and then reported it to DEC. Not sure why folks think this is acceptable but obviously it continues.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
          I would have been bummed out thinking I was going to a wilderness area only to find "improved" roads and a off road vehicle. I hope you were able to find some sort of identifiable information on that vehicle and then reported it to DEC. Not sure why folks think this is acceptable but obviously it continues.
          There is private land not far away to the north and east crisscrossed with many old logging roads and actively traveled ATV trails, especially in the vicinity of nearby Partlow Lake. I have seen one trail goes all the way to the north end of Negro Lake. I know for a fact that the land owners from Nehasane Lodge are not friendly to hikers or paddlers. There has been a lot of contention over the years with people traveling through to Stillwater from Nehasane Lake.
          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I have an older copy of the Discover the Northwest Adirondacks with Barbara McMartin et al, and it describes two approaches, one sounds like it may be part of or the hike from Low's (or Lila) to Stillwater, the other coming in from the west. Both sound like endeavors, but they are described. I'm not sure about the newer edition, I couldn't put my hands on it. (I'm going to have to start carrying two maps and compasses, getting old has its drawbacks )

Comment

I came in from Lows a few years ago, on my way to Stillwater while carrying my Hornbeck. I skirted the private land and ATV trails at Partlow and came into Stillwater via the Redhorse.

Comment

Great pics...sweet!
                "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                X