Newsweek Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsweek Article

Interesting article in Newsweek about the Adirondacks.

The Adirondacks region is distinctive, and in some cases even certifiably unique - and there's no better way to experience it than strapping on your hiking boots and stepping out onto one of the thousands of trails.

Nice article, thanks!
    "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

I liked the way the article was structured. Made for an interesting read. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
      "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
      - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

The article is actually an excerpt from photographer Carl Heilman II's latest book, The Trails of the Adirondacks: Hiking America's Original Wilderness. Photos by Carl, text by Neal Burdick, foreword by Bill McKibben, and a contribution by the Adirondack Mountain Club. It was released this past Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by TrailBlaser View Post
          I liked the way the article was structured. Made for an interesting read. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
          Agreed

Comment

Here is my review of "The Trails of the Adirondacks - Hiking America's Original Wilderness" by Carl Heilman II and Neal Burdick.

As I am sitting out mud season and complying with the DEC Muddy Trails Advisory. this book could not have been more timely.

As one could expect, this 285 page book is full of spectacular photos on high-quality gloss paper. The first 72 pages also contain an in-depth description of the forest preserve, including many surprising historical facts and anthology photographs. For instance, I was astonished to learn that many of the first public foot trails were created for tuberculosis patients hoping to cure their condition.

Much like the Total Perspective Vortex in the Hitchhisker's Guide to the Galaxy, this book makes me realize how little I am compared to the vastness and diversity of the Adirondacks. Indeed, if I first expected to see a gathering of photos of places I had already seen, the reality is that there are very few since the High Peaks only occupy a few pages.

There is a significant amount of photos of the waterways - I did not realize so much can be explored by boat. There is also a section dedicated to the Northville-Placid trail on which I knew nothing. A ton of less-travelled areas also find themselves in the book - including a number of super waterfalls. If a publication can draw the people from the High Peaks to less-travelled areas of the Adirondacks, then this is it.

Although all photos are identified, I sometimes felt the description could be a bit more extensive, for example being more precise on the location and identifying the wildlife on the picture. Really, that is the only thing that I found lacking.

This is a top-quality book at an excellent price and I highly recommend it.

Comment

Bill Ingersoll’s Discover the Adirondacks series of guidebooks has quite a lot of information on waterfalls and how to reach exact locations with detailed descriptions.
              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
              X