Stashed boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stashed boats

I know this has been asked before- but can one legally leave a boat on the shore of a remote river/lake/pond in the Adirondacks? I know we have seen them at the end of almost every water hike in the Park we have taken and it seems like a good idea, but what is the legality? And if one leaves them, are they now public property for anyone to use?

Originally posted by bassanglers912 View Post
    I know this has been asked before- but can one legally leave a boat on the shore of a remote river/lake/pond in the Adirondacks?

In a word NO!

I know we have seen them at the end of almost every water hike in the Park we have taken and it seems like a good idea, but what is the legality?

Not Legal!

And if one leaves them, are they now public property for anyone to use?

Yes, but if the rightful owner shows up, you should let him (or her) have it!

Comment

It is definitely not legal to leave private property (such as a boat) on public property. You may camp and leave your campsite set up for a maximum of 3 days without getting a permit. Longer than than that and you are subject to a fine. If you abandon a boat, it is littering, also illegal. Historically, rangers have turned the other way at the many boats left stashed near wilderness lake and pond shores, but that is not always the case today. Technically, if you do take one out for a paddle or row, you are also subject to a fine if you do not have a PFD on board. You will not generally find servicable PFDs under such stashed boats.
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Also there are stretches of private property, even on "public" lakes & streams -- I've often seen small boats on shores the map indicates are private, presumably at the end of private trails.

Comment

I did argue with a ranger a couple of years ago, that my boat left at a pond while I camped nearby, was part of my camping gear. The only reason I was camping was to fish, and as far as I am concerned, I do less environmental damage by leaving the boat for my three nights and four days than if I wheeled it in and out twice a day, or camped right by the pond even in a designated site. She didn't disagree, and told me that I would not have had a problem if I had not locked the boat up, which I had never done until the state made noise about leaving boats and other fishers impressed the liability issue on me. If I had been ticketed, I would have also argued that my boat is a wildlife viewing blind for watching brook trout, but any judge familiar with my catch rate may have doubted that (LOL!)

Stashed boats almost never have oars or paddles (porcupines love to eat them), but an inexpensive plastic and aluminum canoe paddle makes a fair walking stick and a pfd straps on the outside of a day pack and adds little in total weight.

The old unwritten rule on boats in the 'daks, which I learned from Ann LaBastille, was return it in the same or better shape to where you found it, and surrender it if challenged. I generally leave a couple of flies in the one that I use (it is now stored on private land, but I have been given permission, including where to look for it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky13 View Post

The old unwritten rule on boats in the 'daks, which I learned from Ann LaBastille, was return it in the same or better shape to where you found it, and surrender it if challenged.
            Agreed & same here, except not from Anne, but from the many old timers I’ve met & chatted with on my adventures over the years. And I’ve never once heard them use the word ‘daks.

Comment

One of the problems is the number of people who leave a boat behind. They're often too lazy to haul it back out and figure if they see one left behind, it's ok for them to do it. Pharaoh Lake is practically a marina.

Comment

Once stumbled on an old canoe with paddles on Cedar Lakes. Had a blast paddling around and put it back where I found it, complete with some duct tape (always bring some when camping) to patch up a couple of small holes. Was a nice surprise and added to what was a fantastic trip.

Comment

The better boats may have paddles or oars stashed in a hidden place not far away. Lacking that, I have seen all manner of innovative paddles left behind made from branches and other odds and ends. My favorite was a wide bracket fungus lashed to a forked stick. How do you do the Canadian stroke with that? The most practical was a forked stick with layers of duct tape forming the paddle blade.
                  "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Like all trash, it seems people can manage to haul it in, but can never manage to haul it out. Lots of clean up needed, but no resources to do it...

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                      Agreed & same here, except not from Anne, but from the many old timers I’ve met & chatted with on my adventures over the years. And I’ve never once heard them use the word ‘daks.
                      I never knew too many that typed at all. And I'm pretty lazy and a bad speller!

Comment

Thanks all- that's about what i was thinking.

Comment

We've been over this:

Anybody leaving a canoe in the park is leaving garbage behind for others to deal with. The owners of these boats have no exit plan for them and unless others take it upon themselves to remove them, they will stay permanently. As garbage.

I for one am doing something about it. So are others. Don't leave your boat on any pond I frequent. I will remove it if I can, possibly in pieces to make the carry easier.
                          Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Nice back and forth here. In summary, it's nice to find a boat when you don't have one, but don't leave one behind...

Comment

Maybe the locations of the abandoned boats should be listed for all to see. One persons trash can be the next persons treasure. That way if the boat was first stolen then stashed/abandoned the new owner can show an abandonment history if approached by authorities.

Comment

Working...
                              X