Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
tenderfoot

4 corners base camp with creek swimming hole

So we are thinking it may be time for Marcy & Co. Probably on a weekday. We actually hike the peaks in the shoulder seasons so I'm a bit intimidated about summer back packing in peaks. Heat, crowds, bugs... A cool place to soak my feet at the end of the day would be most welcome.

Plan would be start on trail around 1pm. Backpack to basecamp. Day hike several peaks, Possibly starting super early to be on peak to welcome dawn. Exit 3rd day, possibly doing a peak on way out.

Looking for a swimming hole or wading spot with moving water. Waterfalls would be a plus but that sounds greedy. We hammock camp so a designated lean to or tent site is not required - we can go 150' back. Some of you guys have amazing memories so I will add a nice area of hardwoods makes hanging a bit easier.

And... If you have an idea with all of the above but not Marcy we'd jump on that too. Marcy ain't goin' anywhere.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
Trail Boss

You're not going to find "a swimming hole or wading spot with moving water" at Four Corners ... nor a legal camping spot (it's well above 3500 feet/1066 meters).
https://opentopomap.org/#map=15/44.10595/-73.92859

The 3500-foot ceiling is just a little higher than Feldspar Lean-to.

From Uphill Brook Lean-to to Lake Colden, the Opalescent River descends several hundred feet and there are many cascades and pools (and deep, dangerous gorges). The river is comparatively level between Uphill and Feldspar lean-tos. The water is still moving but there may be fewer opportunities to find swimming holes.
https://opentopomap.org/#map=17/44.11773/-73.97999

I would suggest hammock-camping closer to Lake Colden, perhaps in the area just west of the suspension bridge across the Opalescent (on the south side of the river). There's a deep pool under the bridge and a broad cascade, with a pool, about 550 feet east of the bridge (along the Mount Marcy Trail).
http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.11...18&b=sat&a=mba
Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
tenderfoot

Thank you, very good information.

My apologies, my intent was to basecamp close enough to day hike to four corners. Not camp at the actual intersection where I can see no squiggly blue lines and is highly trafficked. Will check out your links - thanks again.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
tenderfoot

Ah TB, thanks for the tip. Here is a trip report with photos. That is the type of waterworks I was thinking about
Old 06-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Neil
Kayak-46

This isn't in your specified wheelhouse but one of the best rivers/creeks for swimming holes IMO is the Boquet.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
tenderfoot

"Boquet"

Well, we skipped Dix and Grace when we nibbled on the Dix range. Having done the Elk Lake route I was hoping to approach these two from the other side and this site speaks highly of the Boquet approach. Also, maybe this would be the trail less traveled on a Summer weekday...

So your tip is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
... Here is a trip report with photos. That is the type of waterworks I was thinking about
Mike's photos are of the area I suggested (Opalescent river east of Lake Colden). You can see the suspension bridge and the pool beneath it. The one he captioned "Mental note ... swim here in the summer" shows the cascades and pool I indicated located ~550 feet east of the bridge.