Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #21
Trail Boss

I agree 100% with MTVhike. Ditch the overnight gear and commit to the traverse in one shot. I don't use the word "commit" lightly because there are no easy bailouts along this route.

Re-read my previous post. If you start from Round Pond, there's 300 feet less elevation gain. If you head in this direction, when standing on Dix's Beckhorn and facing south (towards Macomb), the marked Beckhorn Trail descends on your right. The unmarked trail to Hough descends on your left at the 10 o'clock position (between left and straight ahead). Some people have been stymied by the inability to locate the unmarked trail until, by pure chance, someone ascending it pops up on the Beckhorn. The balance of the unmarked trail is easier to follow (except in winter).

The intersection with the Lillian Brook Trail also causes some people confusion. If you're descending from Hough and heading south, it's straightforward. For people heading north, they can get a bit spun around in there because the intersection is a small clearing and the area is beaten out (illegal camping). The key is to remember the trail heads north then swings west (it's properly depicted in OpenStreetMap).
http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.06...7669&z=18&b=oc

If you do wish to break it up over three days. Camp before ascending Grace (below 3500 feet and at least 50 yards from the trail and water). The next day push to complete the five peaks and descend to camp at the designated sites south of the Boquet Lean-to. Hike out the next day. Personally, I think it's more challenging to do this with a 30+ pound pack than just committing to a single long day-hike. Your choice.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #22
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

I did this as an overnight, I went in through the Cranberry Pond trailhead, followed the herd path up the South Fork of the Bouquet to the slide, then up the slide to Grace, and along the ridge (which years ago was little more than a herd path, maybe still is?) and finally camped at the sites on the North Fork of the Bouquet. Getting up the slide required some spiderman maneuvers, and in a full pack was tricky. Then in the morning it was a cakewalk down to Round Pond and an easy hitch back to my car.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #23
MTVhike

Earlier this year, we did Grace from 73. The only confusion was at the base of the slide. There is a well used herd path to the right of the slide, which goes up to the col between Grace and South. While I was on Grace, I saw a couple ascending the East peak of Grace; they had come up the slide.
The route between Grace and South is a well-beaten herd path.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #24
prattley

Bumping this up. Anyone here done this loop this season? Planning to head back in a couple weeks...
prattley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #25
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
I asked last year, and haven't gotten to try it yet, but there is a way to get to the north fork directly from the Round Pond trail. It may not save a ton of time but would certainly be more interesting than the road walk. Hope it helps, would like to read that trip report...
I think the easiest way would be to return to the Dix-Hough col after climbing Dix and then bushwhack back to the South Fork where you would eventually pick up the path.

Looking at my ADK paper map you can leave the Dix trail and follow the North Fork where it parallels the Dix trail west of the junction to Noonmark and take that back to 73. There are other options after the Noonmark junction. I think that this way would be a very slow way back. Best be tried without an overnight pack.

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote