Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
Schip

Essex Chain North-even more doggone fun

Hello All,

Yesterday was a perfect summer day. I am on a staycation. So great to live in such a beautiful place. I chose to take the dogs and the bike and head up to explore Chain Lakes Road North. I rode from the parking area to the Polaris Bridge and then down to Jackson Pond and back. I was really surprised that there was virtually no one else there. I know it was mid week, but it is a major holiday week in the height of summer and the weather was the best it's been all year. Bugs were minimal except for lovely butterflies fluttering everywhere.
I saw lots of wildlife, including a doe with a tiny, spotted fawn, a couple of ruffed grouse, a baby garter snake, and the biggest raccoon I have ever seen. Seriously, I thought it was a bear cub at first. Jackson pond was full of minnows, tadpoles, and a few leeches too. There was bigger fish (blue gill?) under the dock that kept darting out and chasing the minnows away. When I reached my hand in the water to pick up what I thought was a clam, she darted out and bit my finger! That's one tough little fishy!

Here is my photo album on fb

https://www.facebook.com/kathleen.po...8571458&type=3

A video panorama of Jackson Pond.

https://www.facebook.com/kathleen.po...type=3&theater

A little video of a pretty spot as I am pedaling slowly. Sorry, it's a little jiggly. I don't have a go pro, so I am holding the camera with one hand while I steer with the other. One of the dogs is attached to the bike and you can hear his jingle bells.

https://www.facebook.com/kathleen.po...type=3&theater

Altogether a fabulous outing.

Kathy
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Tick Magnet

Really cool TR to a beautiful destination.

I loved the pictures of the pups.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

Nice! That photo of the dogs on the dock is a keeper.
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote