Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
natrdude

Lake Lila

I am thinking of taking a week-long excursion to Lake Lila this coming week. It's an annual thing. Does anyone know what the current water level is on Lake Lila? Many areas here, north of Tupper Lake, are extremely high. Just wondering. I like the beachfront landings on some of the campsites and would hate to have them flooded out when I get there. Thanks!
natrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
Scooter_Canoe

I was there last Thu/Fri and the water was quite high, although I did not know the exact height. We camped at site #5 which i have camped at before. On my previous trip the beach may have been 25 feet wide and walkable along the whole cove. On this trip it was probably only 5 feet wide at the landing of the site and could not walk the whole cove.

It did rain all-day Thursday and continued to pour on us through out the night, so this could have added to the levels. In addition, the hiking trail up to Fedrica was mud pit. There was a guy actively pushing mud around with a tractor to fix the trail, but not sure how this could be accomplished without burying drainage pipes and rocks.
Scooter_Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
natrdude

Thanks Scooter! Hmmm...Hoping the waters have gone down a bit. I have always liked the beach at site #5, but the tent area seemed so small and enclosed. I like Canada Island, site #6, when I can get it.
natrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Canoe View Post

It did rain all-day Thursday and continued to pour on us through out the night...
I was near Raquette Lake and not a drop. Go figure.
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

hey folks, Is there a map of camping sites? Where to camp? This sounds like a nice spot to try for a first time paddler/camper.... any help is greatly appreciated...
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
bluequill

The Adirondack Paddlers Map shows the available sites, I think there are 25 scattered about the shore and islands.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
Nehasane

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
hey folks, Is there a map of camping sites? Where to camp? This sounds like a nice spot to try for a first time paddler/camper.... any help is greatly appreciated...
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...mapwhitney.pdf
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #8
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
You do have to carry your canoe and gear about a 1/4" mile (I think that's about right?) from the parking lot. Just to keep that in mind if your first time paddler camper is a kid and you have a heavy canoe. It's not a great trail for a canoe carrier, in my limited experience.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
You do have to carry your canoe and gear about a 1/4" mile (I think that's about right?) from the parking lot. Just to keep that in mind if your first time paddler camper is a kid and you have a heavy canoe. It's not a great trail for a canoe carrier, in my limited experience.
thanks all, I have a kevlar Minn II.. light..but long...18',.... gives me a start..
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
Rich Lockwood

Lila

Yah the carry is a pain, not so long but lots of roots to trip you-but it's worth it. Almost every time we have done it, we met someone carrying the other way that helped us on their return trip. Once 3 nice young men actually took the stuff we were carrying and made all our other trips for us. Guess I must look real old!
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:06 AM   #11
Karen Idoine

I spoke with the regional Ranger on Friday, July 7th and he noted that many of the sandy beaches were under water due to high water levels.
Karen Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote