Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
cpoit

High peaks summer hikes

Hello all, I'm finishing up the remaining Dix range mountains in July. Ive never hiked this area before in the summer and was wondering what the conditions are like. Do you need long sleeves and pants at night or is it usually warm enough. How about the mud and fly conditions?? Most likely staying at one of the elk pond lean tos, does the parking area get filled up quickly on Friday?

Thanks
cpoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
Trail Boss

Historic min/max temps for Lake Placid in July. Subtract a few degrees for being in the mountains and I think you may want long-sleeves and pants in the evenings.
http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...tates/usny0778

Fly conditions are difficult to predict with certainty. I hiked the Dix Range 1.5 weeks ago on a cool day and flies weren't bothersome. They were virtually non-existent atop Whiteface on Sunday. Yesterday, on a nice hot July day, black flies were swarming atop Big Slide and deer flies buzzed us the entire day. YMMV.

I don't know what you mean by "elk pond lean tos". There are two lean-tos:
Slide Brook Lean-to
Lillian Brook Lean-to

I surveyed the lean-tos, designated campsites, toilets, bridges, and trails along the west side of the Dixes and mapped them in OpenStreetMap.
https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#....0625!-73.7874

The Elk Lake trailhead has room for about 15 cars and fills up very quickly, typically on Friday nights. Less than 2 weeks ago, I arrived at 7:20 AM on a Saturday and the previous car got the last available spot. There's no parking permitted along the road (and they do issue tickets). The overflow lot is 1.8 miles south at Clear Pond (about 50 yards south of the road-gate).
Old 07-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
I surveyed the lean-tos, designated campsites, toilets, bridges, and trails along the west side of the Dixes and mapped them in OpenStreetMap.
https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#....0625!-73.7874
Is there a key to the icons/abbreviations? I'm probably just dumb, but I couldn't find it.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
Trail Boss

In the Waymarked Trails map, if you click on a waymarked trail (a purple trail) it will open a sidebar showing the trail's name and details.

You'll notice some trails are represented by colored disks whereas others have acronyms.

Here's how it works:

- Route identified with a colored disk
The route uses one color of marker for its entire length.

- Route identified with an acronym
The route either has no trail markers or employs several colors of markers.

For example, click on "BRT" and it reveals it is the "Bartlett Ridge Trail". It shows the BRT is a hiking route, 4.93 km long (3.0 miles), run by NYSDEC, and it has two marker colors, yellow and blue.
https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=7259469

It also shows the route's elevation profile. For the BRT, you rise 135 m (443 ft) from Panther Gorge and descend 540 m (1772 ft) to Warden's Camp.

If you zoom in, you'll also see guideposts (i.e. trail signs) at junctions. For these, I chose to use abbreviated trail names so you get guideposts with names like Shorey/Range, Range/Haystack, etc.
https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=7259469

I chose to include guideposts because some junctions are purposely unmarked (typically they intersect with an unmarked trail). If you're looking for a sign at the junction, you won't find one. The map shows you which junctions have guideposts (and which ones don't).
Old 07-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
cpoit

Thanks for the information...it will go to great use!
Old 07-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
cpoit

Trail boss....i saw in another post that you said slide brook lean to tends to be crowded. Do you know of lillian brook gets that busy as well? Thanks in advance.