Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
KeanGrad

Lows Lake Camping Suggestions

Heading into Lows Lake the week of the 23rd. Any suggestions on preferred camp sites or camp sites that I should avoid?

Thanks in advance...............
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
chief900

I've only camped there once so I'm sure others can provide more color, but spot 27 was a great site. Closer in Spot 6 on Hitchens, near the portage to the upper dam, looked like a great spot and out on the main part of Lows 18 also looked good. Most of the sites out on Grass Pond are supposed to be great options, too. Think it really depends on how much paddling you want to do as it took a few hours to make it out to 27.
chief900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
richard p

Lowe's

Been a long time for me too. Raquette River Outfitters in Tupper Lake (awesome people) have a specialized map of Lowe's with comments about each site. It is pretty well done so you should try and get one. "paddlers and hikers map of Lows Lake & Bog River. Featuring accurate shoreline features, campsite details and descriptions of ten great hikes. "
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
datdweeb

I second the Grass Pond recommendation - definitely worth the extra paddle. Last I was there, the eastern island sites (13,14,17,18) were also decent. 18 has a beach area, but also has serious wind exposure (can be good or bad thing depending on wind strength, temperatures and bugs). 17 has awesome views, right on edge of lake. 14 has back entrance on private bay on east side. Only "bad" site I saw was at northeast end of Lows on mainland (site 15?), difficult access. Good luck, hope you are leaving early/midweek for best site selection!
datdweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
KeanGrad

Thank you for the advise. In looking @ the Paddlers Map sites 18 & 27 were my 1st choices as well as I am looking for a site with a west wind for bug reasons. While camping on Round Lake in the Whitney I was sure glad I was picking up the west wind, site 3, as the sites on the other side were vacant due to the bugs. I was also looking @ Grass Pond as well but maybe as a 2nd location if we are inclined to move. That could make for a long day. Starting out on the morning of the 24th, Monday, so hopefully site availability should not be too much of an issue. Than it may be a "grubbers can't be choosers" scenario.

Thanks again, trip report to follow.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
Wldrns

If you see a lady paddling a green kayak with yellow paddle blades, be sure to flag her down (if she doesn't flag you first). That's Dawn, the DEC Assistant Ranger for Lows and she would be very helpful in selecting a good empty site, as well as a wealth of other useful information.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #7
KeanGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
If you see a lady paddling a green kayak with yellow paddle blades, be sure to flag her down (if she doesn't flag you first). That's Dawn, the DEC Assistant Ranger for Lows and she would be very helpful in selecting a good empty site, as well as a wealth of other useful information.
Will do, thanks. I believe I have met her before on Little Tupper.