Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Trigger

Looking to car camp in the Adirodacks for the first time.

Anyone know any good places that are accessible with a car, has a waterfront and a place to swim? Going with my large family for 3 days starting Wednesday.

I've never camped outside of a campground but I'm looking forward to it.
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
webby459

Where are you coming from? Are you looking for amenities, like showers and bathrooms?

If you are coming from the south and want something plush, Moreau Lake may be a good fit. The sites aren't waterfront but the lake is a close and easy walk. It should be pretty quiet during the week, the day use section is really crowded on nice weekends. That said, there are many hiking trails and if you go 100 yards off the day use section, you'll have the woods pretty much to yourself. Bonus for Moreau, I've found the biting fly and mosquito pressure to be really low.

A little further north, also in a place with shower/bathroom, with some spots near the water is Putnam Pond. Easy access to the Pharoah wilderness. We found the biting fly presence high there last year mid July, ymmv.

*Also, how large is the family? Don't run afoul of the max group size regs.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Nehasane

If you have more than 9 in your group you will need to get a permit before camping. Regulations for camping on state land:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:23 AM   #4
real3175

Horse Shoe Lake has waterfront, if you go on the weekend the shoreline sites will most likely be taken but the other 6 usually are free. Link below with info and map and a video with more details.

http://andyarthur.org/explore/new-yo...horseshoe-lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkq2...-3bpl3H1Gw4kSD

Also, Piseco-Powley Rd has some River front sites.
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
webby459

Quote:
Originally Posted by real3175 View Post
Horse Shoe Lake has waterfront, if you go on the weekend the shoreline sites will most likely be taken but the other 6 usually are free. Link below with info and map and a video with more details.

http://andyarthur.org/explore/new-yo...horseshoe-lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkq2...-3bpl3H1Gw4kSD

Also, Piseco-Powley Rd has some River front sites.
That's a great tip, thanks!
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
Trigger

I'm not looking for any amenities. I have exactly 9 people so I'm good on that. I'm currently looking at Nine Corner Lake but the hike is a bit much for us. We have a Kodiak Canvas tent that ways a ton. Got any better spots that has nice clear water like Nine Corner, I really don't like cedar water. I'm going tomorrow. Double checking to see if there's anything better before we make the drive tomorrow.

And yes I'm coming from the south.

Edit* G Lake, Chub Lake, and Good Luck Lake also look nice based on accessibility, but there's no pictures or videos of it online, anyone know anything about either?

Looking back on all these lakes, none of them have the swimming appeal that Nine Corner offers.

Final Edit* I settled on Garnet Lake.

Last edited by Trigger; 07-20-2017 at 06:08 AM..
Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
forgedin78

The hike to nine corner is a bit much!?!? Come on...where's your sense of adventure?
forgedin78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
Trigger

Funny you should say that. I know I said that I settled on Garnet Lake, but I ended up going to Nine Corner Lake.

It's not easy for me, because we don't have any light supplies. Our tent is a Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow which weighs a ton. We had to pack food, and clothes for 9 people. Me and my dad are the only ones doing the heavy lifting so just getting all the supplies to camp took 4 round trips and 2 to get down.

We stayed at the campsite north of the end of the trail across the dam, on that little peninsula area where you're completely alone.

The scenery is wonderful but the lake in our area isn't that great for swimming. A lot of boulders hidden underwater that you're constantly afraid to hit.
Also there are leeches, and a lot of them. One attached to me, but didn't get a chance to suck my blood and came right off when I got out of the lake.

The first swimming area is always packed even on the weekdays. The 10 foot jump on the east side of the lake is great but if you're not setup camp on the east side, then you have a long hike to it. If you are camping there, then it's not as lush as the west side.

Now to the good parts about the trip. Our campsite is completely surrounded by blueberry trees. Only about a fourth of them were ripe and good for eating.
I caught a water snake, had a fun time chasing it through the bushes and trees, but regretted it after it musked on me. Also caught a crayfish and ate it too, wasn't very tasty though.

We weren't very careful with keeping our food away from raccoons and bears, but surprisingly, no one visited us.

With some good old Permethrin, the black flies didn't bother us much, but the mosquitoes are quite aggressive even with our arsenal of bug spray.

It was a good trip, a lot of work but I don't regret it. Next place I think I'm gonna go for less hiking and more swimming. Anyone have any recommendations? Willing to go up to 7 hours from NYC.

Last edited by Trigger; 07-24-2017 at 06:11 PM..
Old 07-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
chriswebb

I recommend not cutting down live 30 foot trees
chriswebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
...Sawed down a 30 foot tree and had firewood for 2 days.
Great...another stump at Nine Corner Lake left behind. Good work, glad you enjoyed your camping trip.

Last edited by Justin; 07-24-2017 at 06:07 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #11
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Or dead 30 foot trees either. Dead and down is the regulation last I knew.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #12
Trigger

Didn't know, I'm sorry. It was dead and not anywhere near a trail or campsite. Won't happen again.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Oh the trouble you might cause when you cut down a tree...
Old 07-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #14
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
Didn't know, I'm sorry. It was dead and not anywhere near a trail or campsite. Won't happen again.
Sadly, it will happen again. Maybe not by you but by someone else who will say "Didn't know, I'm sorry."

From here http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html note the following:

Quote:
Fires should be built in existing fire pits or fireplaces if provided. Use only dead and down wood for fires. Cutting standing trees is prohibited. Extinguish all fires with water and stir ashes until they are cold to the touch. Do not build fires in areas marked by a "No Fires" disk. Camp stoves are safer, more efficient and cleaner.
For future reference, here's a categorized list of the major DEC regulations for the High Peaks Wilderness Area. The High Peaks have more rules and regulations (campfires are banned in the Eastern half) but if you follow them while camping in other areas of the ADK Park, you are assured of being well within compliance.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23488
Old 07-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #15
WalkingStick

If you have a canoe both Chub and Good Luck are cake. They are the first places I explored solo due to the convenience.

Although I have camped at Chub numerous times, I am unsure if there is a designated site (if any) that could fit your crew on flat ground. I've stayed there a few nights but followed LNT principles while picking a random spot to hang my hammock.

Good Luck isnt too tough to walk to from the car pulloff on 10. Myself and a couple friends did it in the late evening without any trouble.

To note, Good Luck can get crowded in season. One trip included me finding numerous beer bottles scattered around the shore of a site while taking a morning paddle. Another time I was quite disappointed with the amount of chainsaws and loud music I heard into the late evening hours.

All of this being said, I have visited both during October, November, April and May without issues. Was a great trip time aside from the summer trips I took with the crowds. Not sure if weekdays are different in the summer, I never gave it a go due to my work schedule.
WalkingStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #16
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingStick View Post

To note, Good Luck can get crowded in season. One trip included me finding numerous beer bottles scattered around the shore of a site while taking a morning paddle. Another time I was quite disappointed with the amount of chainsaws and loud music I heard into the late evening hours.
Chainsaws? Oy...
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #17
WalkingStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Chainsaws? Oy...
You are not kidding...
WalkingStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Chainsaws? Oy...
And people want the same kind of easy access to Boreas Ponds...
Old 07-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #19
bluequill

OT, but......

Paddled on Follensby Clear the other day. Sounded like a chain saw party on the sites by the upper access.

Good thing they will be shutting down half the sites there.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #20
Grey-Jay

Permethrin for black flies? I assume you used it on clothing and not skin? While it is not harmful for skin, it is ineffective and is a clothing only repellent.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote