Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
cflb56

Need help finding a lean-to to stay at please

Hi, this summer I'd like to do a trip with some family members who can't carry much gear. I'd like to find a spot where I can launch a canoe close to a trail head and canoe to the lean-to with the gear, and the others can hike to the lean-to. Ideally the hike would be up to 3 miles, but 4 isn't out of the question. Can anyone share any locations if you happen to know of places like this? Thanks for your help.
cflb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
snapper
snapper

The only place I can think of that might meet your needs, and assures you'll get a shelter, is to go to Tioga Point on Raquette Lake. It's a DEC campground but there are numerous lean-tos available via reservation. Your party could hike in via a trail that goes into one of the Sargent Ponds if I remember correctly.

Other than that, your biggest issue is that lean-tos (and all campsites for that matter) are available on a first come, first serve basis. It's possible your group could hike in to a site and you might find it already taken.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
Nehasane

Long Lake. Cranberry Lake/Oswegatchie. Taylor Pond. Raquette River between Raquette Falls &The Crusher.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I believe there are lean-tos to reserve at Alger Island as well.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
Nehasane

1 more: Osgood Pond.

Alger could be a tough hike
Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

How about Henderson Lake? It's a .25 mile carry to a 1.4 mile paddle, and/or a 2 mile hike up and around to the lean to.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
Scooter_Canoe

It may be a bit more of a hike, but the lean-to on Lake Lila would also suffice. It's a bit more of a hike (approx 6 miles??) but its an easy one down a forest road. There is a small portage from the parking lot (.3) for those in the boats.

The nice thing about being at the Lean-to is that you are right at the start of the hike up Mt Fedrica, which is a must do on Lake Lila.
Scooter_Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
cflb56

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm going to check them all out. If you think of anything else over the next week or 2 I'd love to hear it.
cflb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehasane View Post
Long Lake. Cranberry Lake/Oswegatchie. Taylor Pond. Raquette River between Raquette Falls &The Crusher.
All good suggestions, especially Taylor Pond. I may be up there for night soon.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #10
bridgeman

Woodhull lake lean to is only a 0.25 mile paddle from the launch at Wolf Lake Landing. The trail is around 0.50 miles, If I remember correctly.

Your chances of snagging an open lean to are much better if you go during the week, if that's an option.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
58rover

Follensby Clear has a lean-to also.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #12
snapper
snapper

Yea but unless something has changed, the lean-to on Follesnby Clear is located on an island to the best of my recollection.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #13
58rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Yea but unless something has changed, the lean-to on Follesnby Clear is located on an island to the best of my recollection.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
Yes it is, he did say canoe in.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #14
terijohn
primitivecampers

Taylor Pond itself doesn't have a lean-to you can paddle to, but has several you can hike to from the campsite. You would need tents for a base camp.
terijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #15
Nehasane

Quote:
Originally Posted by terijohn View Post
Taylor Pond itself doesn't have a lean-to you can paddle to, but has several you can hike to from the campsite. You would need tents for a base camp.
Then why does the map say "3 Boat Access Only Lean-To Sites"
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/permits_e...orpond2015.pdf

It's been many years since I paddled there, but I did stop at the 3 lean-tos to take a look.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #16
terijohn
primitivecampers

I'm sorry, had it mixed up with Putnam Pond several hiking opportunities to lean-to's but none on the pond. There are some on Taylor Pond, I005 being the best I think. Right next to a brook and not far from the trail that goes around the pond. New one at the end of the pond, but you have to carry everything up a big hill from the pond.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #17
Trail Boss

What's the current state of the so-called trail around Taylor Pond?

I visited it over decade ago, in summer, and it was heavily overgrown. It felt more like a snowmobile trail than a foot trail. Has it improved?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #18
Old Rivers

Dead Creek Flow on Cranberry Lake; Put in @ Wannakenna. Lean to at end of Dead creek flow (Janacks Landing) leads to trails to ponds, Cat Mtn, & High Falls on Oswegotchie>

Last edited by Old Rivers; 07-23-2017 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Additional information.
Old Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #19
terijohn
primitivecampers

We were there over the 4th of July. What parts of the trail we saw were wet and overgrown in some of the areas. A DEC officer hiked in and came as far as our site. He said trail got worse from there and towards the end of the pond and hard to find at times.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:42 PM   #20
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rover View Post
Yes it is, he did say canoe in.
He's looking for a lean-to that he can canoe to, while the rest of his group hikes to it.

The trail around Taylor Pond is a snowmobile trail, but I don't think it gets much use for that purpose, even. It's not something I'd recommend as being family friendly. It's worth pointing out as well that the lean-tos are part of the campground, and reservations and use fees apply in season when the campground is in operation

The hike to the Tioga Point campground would also be kind of rough for novice hikers.

Lake Lila could work- the hike is definitely shorter than 6 miles (maybe 3-4 miles?) but as others have pointed out, there's no guarantee of getting the lean-to. There's a few designated tent sites in the vicinity, though.

Long Lake also comes to mind. The Catlin Bay Lean-tos are about a mile from the trailhead. One of the lean-tos is set back well from the lake and doesn't get a lot use by the motorboating crowd. Hidden Cove is about a mile further up the lake, but also kind of hard to find from the trail.

Note that if you're not staying at a DEC campground, backcountry regulations apply- including a 9 person overnight group size limit (8 person limit in the High Peaks, which includes Long Lake, although I believe you can still get permits for up to 12 people to camp on Long Lake if you contact the DEC in advance).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote