Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2015, 11:27 PM   #61
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Seeing wildlife is mostly a matter of being in the right place at the right time, or the short answer, pure luck. However, I'll bet that more animals see us than we see them. Follow the active recommendations for the Solunar tables and you will increase your chances greatly. While visiting the Adirondack Museum a few years ago I asked someone about viewing wildlife. One of the volunteers, a woman said the only moose she ever saw walked through the adk museum parking lot and stood by the side of the road directly across from the museum. Go figure. Where farmers grow crops one can usually find lots of game nearby. That mountain lion which was killed in Connecticut had migrated from the Dakotas. People also see moose in Connecticut which does have some forested areas but mostly highly developed urban sprawls. If you talk unofficially to someone who works for the poison center in large cities you will get information about poisonous snake bites. I have been in remote areas and rarely see poisonous snakes. Of course that doesn't mean that they aren't there. Once again, how many critters see us but we don't see them?
Old 04-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #62
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Puma View Post
You see more large wild animals in national parks than elsewhere, not necessarily because there are actually more of them, but because they are not afraid of people because they aren't hunted.
No chance it's because of both?

I'd bet my life that it's because of both.
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #63
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
I like the way you think.

Trapping too.

After the experiment proves successful can we extend the moratorium to eternity?
While I don't hunt I think the issue is a too complex for that sort of action. As geogymn said concerning big predators, since the big predator population of animals such as cougars is very low in the Adirondacks (if they're even around), the equilibrium has to be met somehow so currently it happens by way of hunters and deer and other big animals dying of starvation in the winter months like this year to reach towards that equilibrium whereas if native predators like cougars were still around they would maintain population equilibrium of those big animals.

Currently humans are the big predator in the ADKs since there are none otherwise and I don't think should be looked at as inherently bad for the wildlife as it may in fact help achieve that equilibrium, although I would argue that we are not hunting animals in a way that achieves that sustainable equilibrium as there is also illegal hunting that exists on top of permitted hunting and so proper controls should at least be in place and perhaps greater efforts in ensuring animals have the conditions necessary to thrive more than then current levels.

Like I said, I believe this is issue of the seeming lack of abundant wildlife within the blue line is a complex one and I think it would be reasonable to conduct a temporary moratorium, if not in the whole park than in one region of the park, to understand the problem better and work towards resolving it as humans certainly affect populations of wildlife, sometimes in ways we may not even realize like high tension lines, noise pollution, illegal hunting, infertility, disease, aliens, etc.

Last edited by Boreal Fox; 04-13-2015 at 02:39 PM..
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #64
Eastern Puma

I guess I’m saying what Boreal Fox says, but in a slightly different way. Surveys show many more Americans enjoy viewing wildlife species than hunting them. If that's the case, would it be better not to have hunting, with big carnivores doing the job of controlling ungulate populations? If so, who would pay for necessary management of troublesome wildlife individuals? Would more people visit the Adirondacks as tourists if it was more likely they would see large “glamor” species such as wolves and moose up close? Currently, I believe desired game species are managed to be overabundant to maximize hunter success.
Eastern Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #65
Brookie hunter

One thing to remember with "viewing wildlife" is that for the most part it is all there we just dont see it. For example I think we've all been scared by a grouse that takes off next to us when hiking, if it wouldn't of taken off we would have never known it was there. Another example I was following two people down a trail when a deer stood just off the trail and sacred them when it ran I dont think they would have noticed it if it didnt run.
Point is that the wildlife is there but we dont always notice it.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #66
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
The well being of the forest is best served by having big predators.
Thankfully that doesn't include native trout in the Adirondacks over the past 100 years or more.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #67
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Please explain yourself. Are you alluding to big predators like pike and Muskie? Sorry they are not indigenous predators. Let's introduce lions and tigers. Maybe the less you say the more intelligent you'll appear.
Easy bud.
The thread is about abundant wlid life in the Adirondacks, or the lack there of.
Maybe fish are not included in this discussion of big predators, but I think that trout were much more abundant years ago, but maybe I just haven't been fishing the right spots lately, and that's ok, I still have fun out there.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #68
Gman

By big predators I am talking about indigenous ones mainly wolves. Not introduced ones like pike, bass etc.. Don't be a wise guy.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #69
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
By big predators I am talking about indigenous ones mainly wolves. Not introduced ones like pike, bass etc.. Don't be a wise guy.
I get it, sorry bro.
Wildlife to me includes hunting, trapping, and fishing. Sorry for pointing it out in my own silly way. Thanks for calling me a jerk, I did see that, I'll bail out now....or carry on...

Last edited by Justin; 04-13-2015 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: Carrying on
Old 04-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #70
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Easy bud.
The thread is about abundant wlid life in the Adirondacks, or the lack there of.
Maybe fish are not included in this discussion of big predators, but I think that trout were much more abundant years ago, but maybe I just haven't been fishing the right spots lately, and that's ok, I still have fun out there.
I know what the thread is about. You're just being an agitator.

Last edited by Gman; 04-13-2015 at 11:32 PM..
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:21 PM   #71
Justin
Moving along

Quote:

Nobody "see's" fish.
You must not be looking hard enough, Mr. Grumpyman .
Old 04-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #72
Brookie hunter

I've see lots of fish and their not all on the end of my line.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #73
Gman

Quote:
You must not be looking hard enough, Mr. Grumpyman .
You watch them....I'll catch them.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #74
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookie hunter View Post
I've see lots of fish and their not all on the end of my line.
Good for you!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:13 PM   #75
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
You watch them....I'll catch them.

I see them, watch them, and occasionally try to catch some of them.
Other wildlife I just simply enjoy watching them.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #76
Gman

Quote:
I get it, sorry bro.
Wildlife to me includes hunting, trapping, and fishing. Sorry for pointing it out in my own silly way. Thanks for calling me a jerk, I did see that, I'll bail out now....or carry on...
How does wildlife include hunting and trapping?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #77
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
How does wildlife include hunting and trapping?
Haha....more like the other way around.
I just meant that wildlife should also include water species, and I realize that I probably should've just kept my thoughts to myself.
Sorry again for getting your shorts in a knot.
I don't have anything else to add to this discussion.
Have a nice day.

Last edited by Justin; 04-14-2015 at 07:49 AM..
Old 04-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #78
Limekiln

Quote:
By big predators I am talking about indigenous ones mainly wolves.
Coyotes fill the niche vacated by wolves. They kill and eat deer, rabbits, grouse, turkeys, mice, squirrels, and anything else they can get.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #79
Gman

But coyotes aren't a native species of the Adirondacks.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #80
Limekiln

Quote:
But coyotes aren't a native species of the Adirondacks.
Correct.