Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
cityboy

Bear on 2 legs

If I had not seen this video I never would have believed a bear is capable of walking on 2 legs. This is taken in NJ. It's not a spoof or a trained bear. It's obvious that the bear has injured it's front leg and finds it easier to walk upright on two. Amazing!

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/164325503-story
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Finally....Bigfoot debunked!

Poor fella...hopefully he/she could be captured and helped with its injuries...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
mike7575

Doe he even have a front (or in this case top ) leg. The second picture makes it look like a stub?
mike7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:44 PM   #4
peskypup

This guy lives in the town I grew up in, and my parents still live in. He was first sighted last summer, though this most recent video is by far the best/most close-up and leaves absolutely no doubt it's a real bear (and not someone dressed up in a bear suit as some people speculated).

The NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife is aware of him and they're keeping an eye out to make sure he's doing OK. As of last fall they were going to leave him in the wild, thinking that'd be a better life than being stuck in a cage. After public outcry (and a crowd-sourcing effort that raised over $25k for his care/relocated) they agreed to consider relocation if he appeared to be suffering or in ill health.

He looks like he's still getting along OK to me.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:21 AM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Reminds me of the "Bear Dance" painting.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
St.Regis

Adaptation at its finest.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

It's hard to believe that poor guy (or gal?) has survived as long as it has...missing a paw, other paw just about useless, and still it perseveres! Just goes to show, you can get used to anything...missing paw, mangled limbs, 30 years of marriage, (oops, Freudian slip!)
Old 06-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
JohnnyVirgil

Sounds like the biggest problem is people chasing him with cameras..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
Buckladd

Bears are known to walk upright. There was another video a year or so ago similar to this. I've seen a few bears in the Adirondacks but have never seen one walk upright. I did see one stand against a tree and saw another swim across a fen right in front of my wife's kayak. That was pretty cool!
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #10
Tug Hill

The best thing they could do for this bear, is leave it alone.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #11
RichieC

Heart breaking…
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #12
wiiawiwb

When was the last time anyone posted about a human barely hobbling along horribly injured? A bear is something that rises above humanity?

Is it sad? Absolutely. It is profoundly sad. Let nature weed out its own based upon its rules not ours.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:36 AM   #13
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
If I had not seen this video I never would have believed a bear is capable of walking on 2 legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Bears are known to walk upright.
They sure can and will given a reason or incentive. If they spot a bee hive they'll not only walk but will even jump up on the hind paws to get at it.
In general it's just not useful for them to walk upright (more branches to hit them in the face, takes longer to break into a sprint - having to drop down first).
It's very common for them to stand up on hind legs to sniff the air or intimidate other bears, especially when out in an open field or clearing.
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
RichieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
When was the last time anyone posted about a human barely hobbling along horribly injured? A bear is something that rises above humanity?

Is it sad? Absolutely. It is profoundly sad. Let nature weed out its own based upon its rules not ours.
We treat people and soldiers with similar "disabilities" everyday where I work... but there are all sorts of people helping, technology, prosthesis, wheel chairs, operations- losing an arm or two, legs, or even two legs- barely slows them down, they drive themselves here, they play on our sports teams, some go to the winter and summer Olympics to compete... there is medication for the pain and infection, operations to fix it- this pour guy has not one of those things- except an admirable and adamant will to live.

Sorry, if the difference isn't apparent, I can't help you.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:55 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Reminds me of the "Bear Dance" painting.
Me too...

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:11 AM   #16
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Thanks Justin.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:14 PM   #17
JerseyHighlander

An unfortunate update to this thread. Pedals as he was nicknamed, the bipedal bear was a fixture here in my town with a pretty extensive following trying to help him. Unfortunately the bear hunting season started this past Monday and some petty fool for some unfathomable reason was determined to get this bear specifically. He was successful and the upright walking bear was shot during the bow hunting period the beginning of the week. I guess at least he won't have to struggle to get through this winter if it is a harsh one.
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:18 AM   #18
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

The bear should have worn some blaze orange. That's unfortunate. Obviously a "bottom feeder" who couldn't find a normal healthy bear instead of picking on a near tame bear.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:12 AM   #19
geogymn

This idiot gives hunting a bad name.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #20
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyHighlander View Post
An unfortunate update to this thread. Pedals as he was nicknamed, the bipedal bear was a fixture here in my town with a pretty extensive following trying to help him. Unfortunately the bear hunting season started this past Monday and some petty fool for some unfathomable reason was determined to get this bear specifically. He was successful and the upright walking bear was shot during the bow hunting period the beginning of the week. I guess at least he won't have to struggle to get through this winter if it is a harsh one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
This idiot gives hunting a bad name.
NJ has a bear hunting season. The "idiot" hunter you are referring to legally killed a bear, which we're assuming is the same one that got all the press coverage for walking upright.

That bear was no more entitled to special protections than any other bear, or game animal for that matter. IMHO, the people who are being "petty" are the ones who trying to anthropomorphize a bear but then have no qualms about eating their big mac's and steak dinners.

If you're a dedicated vegetarian who dislikes the idea of hunting bears, I disagree with you, but you at least have my respect for abiding by some sort of principle. If you're a meat eater and you're criticizing this hunter for doing what he did, you're being very hypocritical.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote