Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #21
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyHighlander View Post
An unfortunate update to this thread. Pedals as he was nicknamed, the bipedal bear was a fixture here in my town with a pretty extensive following trying to help him. Unfortunately the bear hunting season started this past Monday and some petty fool for some unfathomable reason was determined to get this bear specifically. He was successful and the upright walking bear was shot during the bow hunting period the beginning of the week. I guess at least he won't have to struggle to get through this winter if it is a harsh one.
No one knows if this bear was specifically targeted
Nj wildlife does not release names of hunters
Person accused of killing this bear has been harrassed and threatened and he did not kill this bear in fact he has never participated in a nj bear hunt
People have no problem harrassing and threatening an innocent man
But god forbid a bear is killed
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #22
geogymn

Hypocrite! Yes I am. I have been plagued by that syndrome my whole life. But I have been on a quest to correct my course. On thing I tried to abide is the ideal of fair chase. If the killer of said bear was in engaged in fair chase then I apologize. I was wrong in judging the hunter, I meant only to judge the action. I hereby declare my label of idiot is withdrawn. Peace!
Old 11-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #23
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Hypocrite! Yes I am. I have been plagued by that syndrome my whole life. But I have been on a quest to correct my course. On thing I tried to abide is the ideal of fair chase. If the killer of said bear was in engaged in fair chase then I apologize. I was wrong in judging the hunter, I meant only to judge the action. I hereby declare my label of idiot is withdrawn. Peace!
I'm not really sure how fair chase even comes into play in this scenario. What exactly were you expecting of the hunter? To not take the shot because the bear was confined to the use of only two of its legs? And this is assuming the hunter knew the bear's history.

The issue of fair chase is subjective, but what hard rules there are normally get laid out in the local/state hunting regulations: use of radios; hours/days open for hunting; use of dogs; weapons used; ect. The hunter in question was perfectly legal in taking the bear, at least according to what has been reported so far. And if that hunter hadn't taken the bear, it's very likely that it would have suffered a slow death over a hard winter.

It seems a lot of the people who are getting outraged over this incident are just using it at as an excuse to try and outlaw bear hunting in NJ for a second time.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:39 PM   #24
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Are there any bears around Bear Mountain?
Old 11-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #25
yellowcanoe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl_5lMA6yVU

Yes quite a few. My husband hit one in northern NJ
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote