Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > ADK Forum Classifieds
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
electbc
Outdoorsman

For Sale on Ebay. Wenonah ultralight solo.

The model is not identified by the seller, I don't see that length listed in the racing models on the Wenonah Website. It looks like a Encounter to me. It's a $2600 boat new. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wenonah-17-K...4AAOSwA3dYHfQY

Compare it to :http://www.wenonah.com/Canoes.aspx?id=129
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
richard1726
46er2618

I've paddled the same model, or a very similar racing model, 25 years ago. After 45 min I still could not keep it upright! I was glad the water was not to terribly cold. It does like to go fast and straight, in fact if I was going fast it can be kept right side up. Definitely a fun boat for someone who has other canoes because this is a special purpose boat.
I would like to hear from others who have used this type of canoe.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:41 AM   #3
electbc
Outdoorsman

Good point. Maybe that is why it was only used twice. If in fact it is an Encounter here are some reviews from paddling.net. It is mainly a big tripping boat for sure. Rating: 10 of 10

This craft was designed for big people, carrying big expedition loads. If you are an average sized human being, carrying less than expedition loads......what are you thinking? Thank you Wenonah for designing a real expedition craft.
This canoe excels at what it was designed for.....heavy loads, long days.....day after day in all types of weather with a large paddler. The seat placement is fine. Fifty or a hundred pounds is not enough to trim this boat. If you don't have a minimum of 400 pounds in the boat you are missing the point.
Just returned from a 5 day solo trip to the BWCA in my kevlar ultra lite Encounter. Loved the boat. At 54 years old and 225 lbs, it opened new lakes and portages. 35lb canoe is a beautiful thing. As others have mentioned, I trimmed with weight aft for better tracking and manners in wind. The potential of this boat is exciting. This is also my cold water solo exercise boat due to it's stability.
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/show...s.html?prod=19

Last edited by electbc; 11-08-2016 at 01:55 AM..
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
richard1726
46er2618

The boat for sale does not look like an Encounter to me. The sale boat has that characteristic extreme bulge in the center to meet the min width rule. Definitely a fun boat, easily twice the speed with an experienced paddler compared to a 17' Tripper. But this is not the boat for polling.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote