Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #21
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

All this talk of pace and distance has me wondering...

Does the 150 ft rule mean 150 HORIZONTAL feet from water, trail, etc??
On steeper terrain, the measured distance (pace, string, intuition) could be pretty far off.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #22
montcalm
Mobster

Really?

Seems like anything with the DEC regs, it means what the ranger wants it to mean. If he doesn't like where you are, he can interpret anyway he sees fit to get you to move. If you want to argue, then I bet you'll get more than just asked to move.

I've never heard of a ranger threatening to measure other than the previous post. The illegal sites are usually obviously illegal i.e. by eye less than 150'.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #23
Rich Lockwood

Ranger

My ranger was very pleasant and mentioned my distance in conversation. I don't believe he would have measured. He was mostly amused by my string. I have had only pleasant encounters with adk rangers.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #24
montcalm
Mobster

If I were a CEO I'd be amused if someone actually did something other than estimate with paces...

And also, I've never had an encounter with a ranger, afr, or steward that wasn't pleasant. They generally seem to enjoy the same things we are there for and just want to make sure everyone is safe and keeping things enjoyable for everyone else.

I'm definitely sure there are some people that have some not-so-pleasant encounters with rangers... mostly at roadside campsites but if you follow a few simple rules, keep quiet and don't destroy the place I doubt you'd ever have an issue...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #25
Wldrns

A ranger's first mission is to educate. If that is not the obvious solution, then enforcement is the policy. I personally know several rangers, AFRs and ECOs through my own backcountry travels and with SAR. Once in a while you hear of one-sided unpleasant stories, but any negative outcome is most often well deserved.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #26
Justin

Has anyone been down this side trail yet (red arrow)?
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the turn on our way to & from White Lily Pond, but didn't have time to check it out.

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #27
Trail Boss

For finding roads, trails, and streams in the Adirondacks, USGS Aerial maps can be useful because the satellite imagery was recorded in the fall. As long as the area you're interested in is forested in deciduous trees, the leaves are gone and you can see the forest floor.

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p...85&z=17&t=usgs

If I look at the area northwest of Third Pond, I see a dark line running south from the road to the northwestern shore of Third Pond. However, that might be a stream. I also see two light-colored lines starting from the road and running west. These might be old logging roads.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #28
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
For finding roads, trails, and streams in the Adirondacks, USGS Aerial maps can be useful...
Thanks Boss,
Yes, satellite imagery can be useful for finding roads & streams, but for finding old foot trails there's nothing better than boots on the ground.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #29
Sinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
That is precisely the reason I went to hammock camping several years ago. No more thrashing around looking for a fairly clear open spot to set up even a tiny solo tent. Now I can find a suitable spot with nicely spaced trees in only a minute or two almost anywhere I may go. Set up sleeping space and camp over brush, rocks, uneven hummocks, on steep hillside slopes, or even in a wet swamp, it doesn't matter.
Have a hammock recommendation? Tips?
Thanks!
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #30
Sinite

I camped in the North Western Corner of Second Pond last November. It was slightly swampy and grassy where we took the boat out and walked up the hill due North until we hit the old logging road. Along the road we found a small fire pit and enough space for our tent. Guess somebody forgot to leave no trace. Anyway, it was a cozy spot. No view though.
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote