Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Jennhart

Question Giant or Phelps Mountain

Hello! We are going to the Adirondaks and want to take my 9 year old son hiking. My husband has been told that Giant Mountain or Phelps are good hikes for kids. My son has asthma and is overweight. I am worried about setting him up for failure or worse him getting hurt. Am I worried for nothing? Any feedback you can give me would be most appreciated!
Jennhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
crower_3
Jim Clark

Cascade would be the best for him.
crower_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
Trail Boss

Has he hiked any mountains before? If this is his first, I suggest something shorter like Mount Jo (low effort, high reward). Work your way up from there (Mount Van Hoevenberg, Pitchoff, etc).
Old 07-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

One of my best childhood memories is hiking Buck Mtn in Lake George. That's a good kid hike, I think. Plus, ice cream when you come down.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
mgc

Given the inexperience and uncertainties a short easy access peak is going to be a better choice for you. Giant and or Cascade are good hikes for folks that are in a bit better shape.. I've seen adults struggle on these.
I would suggest Owls Head as a real beginner strawman and see how that goes. It is very lose to the road so access is very straightforward...meaning a bailout is also very simple if it's required. It is actually very picturesque and the effort is very reasonable. Bring lot's of water and his inhaler...don't be shy about turning back. Asthma can really ruin your day.
You'll find it on the way to Keene on route 73.

I recall our first hike with our boys...we did Marcy. One of them experienced Giardia for reasons we still don't understand.....hoo haaaa, that one was memorable...
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:15 PM   #6
TCD

I brought this to the "Hiking" subforum where it belongs.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Klinkhamer

Owls Head trail in Keene to close permanently

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...on-weekends-2/

Owls Head trail is closed on weekends then at end of summer will close permanently. Owners are rescinding permission to use it due to public not respecting their property.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
wellsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennhart View Post
Hello! We are going to the Adirondaks and want to take my 9 year old son hiking. My husband has been told that Giant Mountain or Phelps are good hikes for kids. My son has asthma and is overweight. I am worried about setting him up for failure or worse him getting hurt. Am I worried for nothing? Any feedback you can give me would be most appreciated!
I agree with trail boss, Mount Jo is the way to go.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote