Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
real3175

Panther Mtn and Auger Falls 7/16-7/17

Short and simple get away this past weekend. Met a friend and his family and stayed at the Moffitt Beach Campground in Lake Pleasant (surprisingly quiet and not busy). Attempted to check out Auger Falls on the way up Sunday but the parking lot was closed off and there were at least half a dozen emergency vehicles there, I hope all involved are safe and I guess I will read about that in the weekly DEC email. Booked a shore line campsite not near anyone and it was great, I will most likely stay here when my wife and I hike Pillsbury Fire Tower. My old military buddy and I hiked Panther real quick this morning, great reward for such a short hike.On my way out I was able to quickly see Auger Falls, it also did not disappoint for being such a short hike.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gweil1...57683643344634
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
mohawk
chief

Short and simple is the best!

Didn't know which "Panther" you were referring to at first, as I climbed 3 diffferent Panthers. So you climbed to Echo Cliff it seems. Best views from around there for sure. Right next door is T-Lake. That's a nice hike too. To the lean-to that is.

Pillsbury you will like. Another short hike with nice views from the tower. Bad part is the dirt road in order to get to it. That's a long one.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
greatexpectations

as a former moffitt employee i am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay!

i would throw in watch hill as another great little local hike. the sacandaga river walk is also quite pleasant for a low effort outing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
Short and simple is the best!

Didn't know which "Panther" you were referring to at first, as I climbed 3 diffferent Panthers. So you climbed to Echo Cliff it seems. Best views from around there for sure. Right next door is T-Lake. That's a nice hike too. To the lean-to that is.

Pillsbury you will like. Another short hike with nice views from the tower. Bad part is the dirt road in order to get to it. That's a long one.
fwiw, the trailhead sign refers to it as panther mountain. as a pseudo-local we always referred to it as panther - echo cliff is a name i have heard/seen almost exclusively online.

of course the naming is a little confusing because A. you don't hike to the summit of panther mt, you hike to the ledges on echo cliffs and B. as you mentioned there are multiple panthers in the adks.

either way, it is a great little hike!
greatexpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
real3175

Appreciate the input! All added to the list for when we re-visit the area do complete Pillsbury.
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote