Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2018, 10:49 PM   #221
Wldrns

From Nessmuk's "Woodcdraft and Camping":

"It was published in Forest and Stream in the summer of 1880, and again in ’83. It has been pretty widely quoted and adopted, and I have never known it to fail: Three ounces pine tar, two ounces castor oil, one ounce pennyroyal oil. Simmer all together over a slow fire, and bottle for use. You will hardly need more than a two ounce vial full in a season. One ounce has lasted me six weeks in the woods. Rub it in thoroughly and liberally at first, and after you have established a good glaze, a little replenishing from day to day will be sufficient. And don’t fool with soap and towels where insects are plenty. A good safe coat of this varnish grows better the longer it is kept on—and it is cleanly and wholesome. If you get your face and hands crocky or smutty about the campfire, wet the corner of your handkerchief and rub it off, not forgetting to apply the varnish at once, wherever you have cleaned it off. Last summer I carried a cake of soap and a towel in my knapsack through the North Woods for a seven weeks’ tour, and never used either a single time. When I had established a good glaze on the skin, it was too valuable to be sacrificed for any weak whim connected with soap and water. When I struck a woodland hotel, I found soap and towels plenty enough. I found the mixture gave one’s face the ruddy tanned look supposed to be indicative of health and hard muscle. A thorough ablution in the public wash basin reduced the color, but left the skin very soft and smooth; in fact, as a lotion for the skin it is excellent. It is a soothing and healing application for poisonous bites already received."
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #222
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

In my younger days, my buddies would drop by in the off season (winter, for us) and we would break out the photos and stories from past camping adventures.
We would also open up a bottle of Ole Time Woodsman Fly dope and take a few hits!!
Between the stories, the photos and the aromas, it was the next best thing to being there!!
Old 01-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #223
l33tHoneyBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
From Nessmuk's "Woodcdraft and Camping":

"It was published in Forest and Stream in the summer of 1880, and again in ’83. It has been pretty widely quoted and adopted, and I have never known it to fail: Three ounces pine tar, two ounces castor oil, one ounce pennyroyal oil. Simmer all together over a slow fire, and bottle for use. You will hardly need more than a two ounce vial full in a season. One ounce has lasted me six weeks in the woods. Rub it in thoroughly and liberally at first, and after you have established a good glaze, a little replenishing from day to day will be sufficient. And don’t fool with soap and towels where insects are plenty. A good safe coat of this varnish grows better the longer it is kept on—and it is cleanly and wholesome. If you get your face and hands crocky or smutty about the campfire, wet the corner of your handkerchief and rub it off, not forgetting to apply the varnish at once, wherever you have cleaned it off. Last summer I carried a cake of soap and a towel in my knapsack through the North Woods for a seven weeks’ tour, and never used either a single time. When I had established a good glaze on the skin, it was too valuable to be sacrificed for any weak whim connected with soap and water. When I struck a woodland hotel, I found soap and towels plenty enough. I found the mixture gave one’s face the ruddy tanned look supposed to be indicative of health and hard muscle. A thorough ablution in the public wash basin reduced the color, but left the skin very soft and smooth; in fact, as a lotion for the skin it is excellent. It is a soothing and healing application for poisonous bites already received."
Thank you for this entertaining read! Has anyone actually made this recently and are there any known health hazards associated with it? Just curious more than anything else but sometimes a little old world concoction is better than the new world science mixtures.
Tupper Lake Triad: #23 WSD & #405 SSD
Saranac 6er: 3/6

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/uphillbothways/
l33tHoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #224
Woodly

Pennyroyal oil is highly toxic when ingested, causing damage to the liver. I don't know if it is toxic applied to the skin but I have to wonder.
There are a lot of unanswered questions about pine tar but it is still used for medical purposes. If it is 'pure' and does not contain 'Creosote' [and it may], its probably safe.
Apply all the above to one's clothes and one should be safe.

Last edited by Woodly; 01-24-2018 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote