Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #41
Woodly

Good luck
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:55 AM   #42
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Used to see a cabin on the mountain with signs which read "Gun Traps Set". Was fairly effective because most of the curious ones really had no clue what "Gun Traps" were or where they were. I believe gun Traps are illegal but it kept people away. Still have a couple of grenades left from that jungle war no one likes to talk about. Some trip wire? Maybe just a sign explaining about the trip wires,.....
Old 06-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #43
yoshootme

new owner of 300 acres. I have an old logging road that comes up into the property that people use to hunt, hike, steal trees and recently destroy my no trespassing signs and steal my sd card.(downloaded all other pics/videos prior anyway). why do so many feel it's their right to my property? if I hear "my family has been doing this for 100 years" one more time I will cry. I guess a gate will be my first thing. after that, who knows. very frustrating.
yoshootme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #44
Lucky13

My friend in Eagle Bay had an elderly woman who had been a friend of his mothers stop down once in a while to visit. He installed a trail camera to see what he could learn about the bears that regularly visit Eagle Bay and "trespass" going after garbage pens. He downloaded his one day and had a whole bunch of pix of Mrs Elderly stealing the driftwood he had been collecting for craft projects. Firewood has been fair game for years, now it gets locked up inside. We've also taken apart numerous hunting blinds set up on his property despite its location in the No Big Game Hunting zone around the Fulton Chain. He has no bias against hunters but is also tired of the "you aren't here, so we just used it for a while" attitude prevalent in a lot of rural America. Good luck with your "poacher."
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #45
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if you're in suburban Rochester or rural Adirondacks. I have to deal with the same crap. My house is a place equidistant between two side streets people often miss and then turn around in my driveway.

You want to pull in and then back out (like a normal person), that's fine. But my driveway connects to the road at three points. It's almost like a 3 pronged fork with the middle going straight from road to my garage, and the other two a loop that goes near our front porch and living-room window. I don’t want people driving off the state highway and 10’ from my front window.

People pull in and treat the place like a public parking lot. Or more commonly can't navigate the turns as well as they thought and up driving on the grass. Once I caught on camera on guy driving straight across my lawn like what happened to Tick Magnet.

Now I realize why the previous owners had big rocks where they had them. They only had two, but I added two more to force vehicles to stay on the driveway at least. That was until a guy with a lifted Jeep came in and just drove over a rock, so recently I switched them around where the larger rocks are in a more key location.

I also put a 'NO U-TURN' sign in the most popular entry. Furthermore, when I built a new mailbox, it moved it to a different location where I had lots of traffic on the lawn. My idea is to continuously monitor the [not nice people], not where people primarily want to trespass, and then adjust my landscaping to make it not as inviting.

I had cameras, but I recently added one to a light post right by the driveway so I can always get the license plate number and hopefully see the driver through the windshield too. Next time damage happen I will call the police with the video showing who and the license plate number. I haven’t noticed any in a while though, I think the landscaping changes + signage have helped.

My point is, don't use traps, you'll end up in jail instead. Just need to get creative and make it clear that access isn’t easy. Also, maybe consider paying a neighbor to keep the driveway plowed and their vehicle in the front of the driveway so it looks like someone’s living there and so people can’t use your driveway.
trent is offline   Reply With Quote