Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
Schip

Favorite Hike in Moose River Plains Area

What's your favorite hike in the MRP area? Aaaannnnnddddd.......GO!

Kath
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
Lucky13

While I don't hike to hike, but rather to fish, I have a lot of good ones in the Plains, mainly ending in ponds or lakes. Mitchell Ponds, while not the most interesting hike, is easy (and short using a bike), and leads to an awesome view from the campsite at the head of the ponds. If you head left when you reach the ponds there is an amazing boulder area along the second pond, and Barbara McMartin's books describe a bushwack to the cliffs you view from the upper pond. Squaw Lake requires about 1/2 mile of walking the road, then is a 1/2 mile of trail into the lake, I think too rough for a cart, but the Lake itself is beautiful, and it is possible to head way around on the northside rock cliffs to view more of the lake. Indian Lake is a long walk in on the road now, but was a beautiful lake last time I was there, when it was dead, and it is supposedly coming back strong as a trout lake. No Lake at the end, but the Otter Brook truck trail has some interesting spots, and the bushwack back long the brook, either from the Otter Brook crossing or after following Jimmy Creek down to the brook, can yield a few fish for supper and some beautiful rock garden views, and in the stretch between the brook crossing and Jimmy, the largest Black Spruce I've ever seen. Ditto going downstream for ~1/2 mile from the Otter Brook Bridge for interesting rock formations, and you will see (unless it has fallen in the last two years) one of the largest White Pines around, left as a seed tree after Gould logged the area. The trail to Kenwells on the other side of Otter Brook is short, nice cliffs to view, and the old hotel sight and some beaver meadows at the end are interesting. The Lost Ponds trail is easy, with one hill, cartable if you want to bring a boat, and lots of small spurs to explore on foot when you reach the ponds, and lots of berries in season along the old road. Finally, if the road is open, the Rock Dam trail is beautiful, sort of boardwalked through a bog area filled with bog plants (last time I was down there), and the junction of the Red and Moose at the end invites a swim and some fishing, although this is slick wading for the ~1/2 mile down to the ALC boundary. I've been going into the Plains since the day after it opened for summer use, and have not been able to do all of it yet, or pick a favorite, on my bucket list are Falls Pond, now that it has fish again, Little Moose (a long hike, but supposed to be easy with a bike), and the canoe trip down the Moose to Rock Dam and back up (B. McMartin's book says likely easier than carrying to Rock Dam road and a second car.), and the level 2 miler back to Beaver Lake for some oversized Brown Trout. Enjoy!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

I’ll second Mitchell Ponds & cliffs.
Also, Bill’s updated versions of the “Discover the Adirondacks” are also helpful.
http://www.hiketheadirondacks.com/pa...ondacks_Series
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #4
ADKxplorer

Would agree with all the above, so many places to hike in there, squaw and indian are nice, beaver pond is an easy hike with some enormous white pines along the trail, also lost ponds, and the trail to brooktrout lake with the side trip to falls pond are all good day hikes if you're camping in the plains....fun area to explore.
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote